This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

totem desktop - wmv issue

I don't know if these 2 issues are related but here goes...
    I'm trying to play an wmv video file...kaffeine starts up and a little window loads up also that codecs are installed...when i click that codec window off it starts up again like it's loading codecs drivers and keeps giving me the same message over and over. The wmv file never starts playing. So i change options to start with "movie player" and i get this message - Service '/user/share/applications/totem.desktop' is malformatted.

Re: totem desktop - wmv issue

Try installing the w32codecs, this should fix the problem.
    Here is a guide to help you install it.

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Let me know if this helps.

Comment

dll's files placed in the directory as in the instructions...still getting the same response in kaffeine. I had not mentioned but most wmv files always played fine in kubuntu...just this one particular wmv file i have now is causing this...however i also have vlc but plays only audio on this particular wmv.

same message as before in kaffeine = "kaffeine codec installer pops up first" then another window "codec already installed" - when i remove the window, the same process begins again and again - keeps telling me "codec installed" but file never plays.

? these are dll's - i thought dll files were windows ?

if i try to open in movie player, i get "Service '/usr/share/applications/totem.desktop' is malformatted."

Comment

As I put in the post "Can't play DVD" (below)
        The default video player for Hardy is Kaffeine, and the version included is 0.8.6. Well, I must say that on other distributions Kaffeine is pretty stable, but on the Kubuntu Live CD at least it's just unusable. Here's why: in Kubuntu, Kaffeine includes an addition which is supposed to automatically download the proprietary codecs and libdvdcss2. Which doesn't work. Moreover, after installing kubuntu-restricted-extras, libdvdcss2 and w32codecs, Kaffeine will still try to download the codecs and pop up an error that the codecs are already installed. Otherwise, it enters an infinite loop. I didn't have the occasion to test it normally, after installing it on a hard disk, but running it from the Live CD just won't work. The only workaround I could found is to right click on the movie in Konqueror and open it in a new tab, using kaffeine-part, which will work but the fullscreen mode won't be actually fullscreen.
        From http://linux-weekly.blogspot.com/200...cluded-by.html

I think there is a bug in Kaffeine which goes beyond the LiveCD into the install.

If it says "Service '/usr/share/applications/totem.desktop' is malformatted." you might try reinstalling totem.
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Try running this...
          Adding the repositories
          Code:
          sudo wget [url]http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list[/url] -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
          then run this one...
          adding GPG key
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
          Now this...
          Install package using APT
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
          and now this...
          package w32codecs
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install w32codecs
          And like arochester said, there is a bug in the Kaffeine so I just change the order of the programs are executed, I have some WMV files that do not play right so I use MPlayer for that, just changing the order, I put MPlayer as a priority instead of Kaffeine. Try uninstalling MPlayer and reinstall it and the same with totem, like arochester said.

Comment

re-installed totem and installed the libdvdcss2 and w32codecs...but still this wmv causing the same issues with kaffeine, also no video only audio in vlc and kplayer. However, as i stated before all other wmv files have been loading up fine in all these applications from before. So i am thinking that it must be an issue with this particular wmv for whatever the reason.

Comment

Working...
            X