Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Terminal Help Kubuntu/Secondlife !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Terminal Help Kubuntu/Secondlife !

Hi there,

I have downloaded secondlife for linux. This prog needs no installation, and should launch from the command line. I can't just click it, if I do kubuntu asks which program to use to open the file. Terminal doesn't work as a choice. If i attempt to run it from the terminal after navigating to its dir, I am told "permission denied." I read up on sudo, tried to use it like sudo ./secondlife , and got command not found. I am clearly lost, and would like to master the command line a bit. Any thoughts on getting secondlife working on the latest kubuntu? For a total noob?

Re: Newbie Terminal Help Kubuntu/Secondlife !

Where did you download from? Are there not installation instructions there?

"secondlife-installer" is available from repository. Might have been better to connect to the internet, open Konsole Terminal Program and issue the command
    sudo apt-get install secondlife-installer
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hey I tried using the repository through apt-get and it tells me "Couldn't find package secondlife-installer"

I read the official instructions at secondlife.com and followed them, but there must be some problem I am missing. This is pretty strange, but im keepin at it.

Comment

Try getting the package from here: http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=secondlife

It's a .deb. So download and save. RIGHT click on the .deb and choose Open with Gdebi Package installer.
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Also, if you want to run from Terminal to install a .deb file, go to the directory through
          " cd /home/username/dirWhereFileIs " and use the code

Code:
          sudo dpkg -i FILENAME.deb

Comment

Working...
          X