This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUBUNTU LIVE CD DOES NOT WORK AT REBOOT

HELLO... IM NEW TO KUBUNTU.... AND IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL KEEP BEING NEW SINCE THE LIVE CD I BURNED WILL NOT WORK AFTER I BOOT UP. THE ONLY THING IT DOES IS OPEN UP THE MENU ... THATS IT... THEN FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS I BOOT-UP AND NOTHING HAPPENS.... ACTUALLY THE SCREEN FLASHES A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT WINXP CONK YOUNTINUES TO LOAD.

I HAVE BURNED 5 CD'S ALREADY, TRIED COPYING, TRYIED MAKING IT A BOOTABLE CD... ALL WITH NERO AND NOTHING.

I HAVE A DELL INSPIRON 5160 40GB HARDDRIVE
    I HAVE TRIED THE CD ON A SONY VAIO PCG-FX301 10 GB AND NOTHING...
    HELPPPPP!!!
    THANK YOU!

Re: KUBUNTU LIVE CD DOES NOT WORK AT REBOOT

Hi,

Can you explain more why it's not booting please ?
    Is it trying to load the cd, or is it doing just like usual (boot to windows ) ?
    If yes, you should modify your bios to be able to boot from cd.

Comment

I can think of three possible problems, you may have some other problem that I can't think of.
      (1) You may have had a problem downloading the CD. Did you check the md5sum of the iso file before you burned it?
      (2) You may have had a problem burning the CD. Did you burn it at reasonably slow speed. When I'm burning an iso, I use a 24x CD-R and I burn it at 8x.
      3) Did you copy the *.iso file to the CD (WRONG), or did you burn the isofs to the CD-R? I'm sorry, I've forgotten what Nero calls those two methods. Start your computer in windoze. Insert your cdrom and look at it's contents in Windoze Explorer (Do they still call it that?) If it contains only one file called whatever.iso, it's burned the wrong way. You should see a large number of files in several directories.

Comment

HELLO SKY AND AL..... THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE

WHEN I PUT THE CD IN IT STARTS WITH WELCOME INFORMATION AND OPTIONS TO D/L SEVERAL PROGRAMS, THEN IT SAYS "JUST LEAVE IT IN YOUR CD ROM AND REBOOT... AND THAT IS WHAT I DID, THE CD ROM TRIES TO GO FOR A WHAT IT SEEMS A LONG TIME, THE BLACK SCREEN FLASHES, FLICKERS 2 OR 3 TIMES, AND WHEN I HAVE A BIG SMILE BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO LOAD IT, THERE COMES THE WINXP LOGO AGAIN....

FIRST CD WAS A COPY, AND I HAD READ THIS FORUM FOR HOURS BEFORE I CRY FOR HELP AND YOU HAD MENTIONED TO BE SURE TO BURN CD... SO I DID.
        SECOND CD, THIRD CD, EVERYTIME IT TRY TO VERIFY DATA IT WOULD ERROR OUT, FOURTH CD I BURNED WITHOUT DATA VERIFICATION AND IT HAS 19 FILES IN IT, FIFTH CD BURNED, I BURNED IT AS BOOTABLE, IT JUST RUN AND RUN AND RUN AND NOTHING HAPPENS, THEN I CHANGE THE BOOTABLE SEQUENCE OF THE LAPTOP, AND STILL NOTHING... THATS WHEN I CRY FOR HELP!

I HAVE NOT DONE THE SLOW BURNING PROCEDURE AND I SHALL DO THAT NOW... AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS...

ONE MORE QUESTION, I HAD BURNED THE INSTALL KUBUNTU VERSION TO A CD, BUT READ IN ONE OF THE THREADS THAT I SHOULD BURN INTO A DVD BECAUSE OF ITS SIZE... IT THAT SO?

THANKS AGAIN....

WILL POST BACK WITH RESULTS OF "SLOW BURN" CD...

Comment

Hi,

It's quite strange that you have only 19 files in the cd, I remember I had much more..
          Which cd from which site are you trying to burn ?
          About install cd, I've burned few and it was always ok on a cd, so for me no need to burn on a dvd (unless you're downloading the dvd image
          Askrieger is write about burning at low speed, it's usually better for a cd with some many files...
          If you're burning with nero, you should make file > open and open the .iso file, and it should open the burn dialog menu...
          Hope it will work for you.

Comment

HELLO AGAIN...

CHANGE TO BOOT FROM CD ROM
            AND I GET THE WINXP LOGO AND BAR THEN BLINKING BLACK SCREENS THEN SOME MORE BLINKING BLACK SCREENS AND THEN THE WINXP DESKTOP...

THE CD DOES LIGHT UP AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS TRYING TO DO SOMETHING... BUT NOTHING...

WHAT IS TO BE DONE TO THE M5SUM? FILE?

THANK YOU...

Comment

Download / install the "install CD" 6.06 Beta2 and try it.........

Will

Comment

thank you... i will try that...

the only listing is for a "lite" version... is that the one?

thanks again

Comment

If you are interested in Dapper 6.06 Beta 2 you will see an "install" cd on the dl page.........

Will

Comment

Try here, remeber the "install cd"

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/000072.html

Comment

HI AGAIN...

I DOWNLOADED THE LATEST VERSION AS INDICATED (THANK YOU FOR THE URL)
                      AND STILL NOTHING IS HAPPENING....
                      HELP?!

THANK YOU

Comment

Hi,

For me it sounds incredible you're the first one to have troubles like this, are you sure about the way you burn the cd ?
                        For md5sum, you should check this page :
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2621.0

Cheers

Comment

HI AGAIN....

I HAVE D/L THE LATEST VERSION
                          I HAVE OPEN NERO AND PICKED THE "BURN IMAGE TO CD" OPTION
                          I CHANGE THE SPEED TO 8x
                          I ALSO CHOSE THE DATA OPTION

I CHECK THE M5SUM FILE AND COMPARED TO THE ONE ON THE URL YOU INDICATED, 1.- THAT IS FOR A PREVIOUS VERSION OF KUBUNTU 2.- THE FILE IS VERY SMALL COMPARED TO THE ONE I HAVE IN THE D/L.

IF THERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO BURN A CD PLEASE LET ME KNOW...
                          OR ANYTHING YOU MIGHT THINK I AM DOING WRONG.

SHOULD I BE BURNING A "BOOTABLE CD"?

I LEFT THE "BOOT FROM CD" ON THE BIOS

SINCE I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT LINUX... I AM NOT SURE EVEN WHAT TO LOOK FOR...

IS THERE A WAY TO INSTALL FROM DOS?

HELP!

THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi,

So you've downloaded an .iso file, open nero, chose open, then select .iso files and find the iso you've downloaded.
                            After you're changing speed to 8x
                            and burn.
                            You shouldn't have this data option, or I can't see it. I'm using version 7.0.
                            Can you give us the detail of what there's on your cd after burning please ?

I really hope we will find a way to get you start this live cd...

Cheers

Comment

Try reading through everything on this page, it says Ubntu but it will be the same for Kubunto as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X