This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 upgrade

After a couple of weeks of using 8.04.1, i updated to kde4 - 207MB downloaded and installed through "add remove". After re-boot, i noticed everything looks the same as it was before...the only diff is that in the menu it shows 2 of most kde apps - one for kde4 and the other for 3.
    Checked system settings for appearance, desktop etc. and every option is still the same. How can i get that kde4 look ?

Note: when i check "about" @ system settings, it say's kde 3.5.9

Re: KDE 4 upgrade

KDM should offer another session - KDE 4 - and that's where you have to login to the system.

Regards,

rpw

Comment

When you start up you will come to the blue page where you put in your username and password. There is an icon on the lower right corner. Right click that (OR do Alt+T) and choose different session - KDE4.

This is how and where you sign into Gnome, Enlightenment, Xfce etc if you install these.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

OK...worked ! -
        hmmm... back to 3.5.9 :-X Like how i had it configured before and 4 doesn't quite get to how i had it.

will check gnome out of curiosity.

Thanks all

Comment

KDE4 is still work in progress of course. If you don't like how KDE4 works out then why not try out KDE4.1. It has a different look to it and more features. If you want to upgrade your Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 installation to KDE 4.1 just follow the following instructions which were posted on http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1
          Which is to:

1. Add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main to your /etc/apt/sources.list.
          2. If you already have the kubuntu-kde4-desktop packages installed, simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and answer the questions in which you are prompted. If you do not have kubuntu-kde4-desktop installed, simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop and answer the questions. Both of these options are to be typed at the command prompt.

Comment

as i had mentioned, i went back to 3.5.9 - uninstalled the kde4 package only to find that i still had many remnants of it still on the system even after the uninstall. At startup it was showing the kde4 background and a diff looking log-in - i had automatic login set before and after the uninstal of 4, could not get that feature to work...besides i saw double versions of most kde programs on the menu still...some were completely replaced by kde4 version. Looked like a mess. Also started getting a kde crash message on screen every once in a while too. I guess the uninstall feature isn't complete at "add remove" for version 4. So reformatted and re-installed the whole thing again and configured it to my comfort. I am satisfied with this "pre 4" version of kde - i would like to try 4.01 but i will wait till it's considered as stable as what i'm using now.

BTW when i first installed kubuntu, Amarok played everything including my CDs, mp3 and all radio and Last fm streams. Now that i have re-installed, i can't get this thing configured...i currently have vlc and gstream plug installed too. I get CD working but no stream - "no suitable demux" - have added gstream and don't work... dvd works but has red lines across it! - don't understand why was all working before on first install

Comment

Amarok streams now - have not installed any new drivers either...next major upgrade with kde i will do with a fresh iso image - will save me lots of wasted time

Comment

Working...
              X