This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) no gui after changing monitor settings

So I tried to change my monitor settings to use my tv as a second monitor. This change required a restart, but now when I restart I only get the command prompt. How can I change the settings back to a single monitor from the command line? I'm booting from LiveCD right now, so if there's an easy way to get into the settings by editing some file on my disk let me know.

Thanks in advance

Re: no gui after changing monitor settings

The file you changed that probably caused the problem was /etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the capital "X"). You can take a look at it and see if anything looks out of place, or post it here, or replace it with (hopefully) a backup... but if you are doing this from the TV output BE WARNED, that having incorrect settings in your xorg.conf can physically destroy your TV (especially if it is the CRT variety).

So perhaps give some more info before going forward, unless you just want to unhook the TV and restore a backup xorg.conf... either way, there are more knowledgeable people here than me on the subject, so perhaps you want to wait for more experienced help.

If you want to look at or edit your config file from the command line, you can use
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    to take a look. Nano is a command line text editor that comes with installed by default with kubuntu.

Comment

Re: no gui after changing monitor settings

Thanks for the help. I actually decided to just reinstall Kubuntu as I probably messed quite a few things up before really getting the hang of things. I've been using Kubuntu for a month now and for the first week or so I was just changing things pretty randomly trying to figure stuff out. It feels good to start over on a fresh installation.

Comment

Working...
      X