This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ClamTK Virus Scanner [Solved]

Trying to update signature definitions and is telling me "you must be root to update" ??

tried "kdesu clamTK. kdesu" entered pass and says "command not found" ?

Re: ClamTK Virus Scanner

If you read the ClamTk (http://clamtk.sourceforge.net/faq.html) website it says "If you have permissions, try running "sudo clamtk" or "gksudo clamtk", and then updating them. "

E.g. Close ClamTk, input to Konsole Terminal Program
    sudo clamtk
    and it will start the app with superuser (root) rights
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

"gksudo clamtk" worked !
      i was there and was under the impression that "sudo" would work :-X

Thanks much arochester !

Comment

Originally posted by Dart
        "gksudo clamtk" worked !
        i was there and was under the impression that "sudo" would work Lips sealed

Thanks much arochester !
        Using "sudo clamtk" should definitely work, but "sudo" is generally used for command-line applications, whereas "kdesudo" or "gksudo" is used for graphical applications. There's not much of a difference except that using "sudo" will prompt you for your password from the console and "kdesudo" will prompt you via dialog box.

In your case, I think the problem lies in the command you first entered:

Code:
        kdesu clamTK. kdesu
        "clamTK." is more than likely not an application, which explains why you received a "command not found" error. Linux commands are case-sensitive; thus, "clamTK" is not the same command as "clamtk". Also, you placed a period ( . ) after "clamTK", which would be yet another command, and entered "kdesu" a second time, which if "clamTK." had been a command, would probably have confused your console anyway prompting it to give you an error.

You'll figure it out, and if what I've said doesn't make any sense, just be patient and follow instructions exactly as they are written (remembering to pay close attention to case-sensitivity)
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X