This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox install and installing anything at all

I just downloaded firefox into /home/nate/Documents/firefox-3.0.1.tar.bz2. I have no idea how to install this nor do i know how to install anything at all. I reinstalled the whole system this morning so everything I had done before is negated.

I also used adept to get updates but none of them were installed so i need to know how to get and install with adept. there is no apparent button to install in the adept window
    and i don't know the command line to use.

Thanks,
    Nate

Re: firefox install and installing anything at all

since you seem to be having the most trouble with getting the base system set-up how you like it, here is a nice how-to.
    It takes you through the basics and shows you how to update and add packages.
    Hope this will help.
    http://howtoforge.com/the-perfect-de...buntu-8.04-lts
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

CVPunk:
      I'm sure it will! Thanks . I'm headed there immediately after this post.

thanks,
      Nate

Comment

Assuming you are connected to the internet, and have the standard repositories (should have been installed automatically), you don't need to download Firefox to install it. Just open the Konsole and
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install firefox

Comment

dibl:
          When I installed ubuntu that happened all that automatic stuff happened. My trouble in ubuntu was that I could not get the resolution to a level that I could use the mouse and the window was 1/3 off screen so I decided to use kde which I'm more familiar with (not very familiar but a bit).

When I tried installing kde none of the automatic stuff happened. I assumed it was not supposed to. I also had the resolution problem but that is taken care of until the next time I install. Hope that's not soon, though i may go back and see if I can accomplish ubuntu resolution now too.

So now with the help that CVPunk gave me in the last post I now have Firefox, however when installing for some reason some things froze. I assume the answers i gave it were not correct but i don't know what it wanted besides my password and yes and no so I will have to run it again ... Fire fox works I think but Google Earth does not. I don't yet know why.

Also I didn't need firefox to install anything. I need firefox because I like the way it works.

Thanks to you all,

Nate

Comment

Working...
          X