This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to update to kde4.1.1 [solved]

Hi everyone. I am having a major issue trying to update to the latest release of KDE.
    I am running Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 Remix. I added the ppa.launchpad repositories and when I try to upgrade it goes for a little while then just sits there and nothing is happening. Tried doing this through Adept and Konsole, same results with both.
    Anybody have any suggestions?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Re: Unable to update to kde4.1.1

Don't worry, the server must be overheating. I had the same issue but two days ago I tried at odd time (5:00 am +1 GMT) and I managed to download it when presumably there weren't many people at it. So set the alarm and have a go or just wait till everybody else has it before you. cheers.

Comment

So you think it is just the server? I tried last night at about 9pm (pst) and again this morning at around 10am (pst).
      I would like to upgrade my KDE now, but I guess if I have to I will just wait until Oct. for Intrepid.

[edit1] ok, this is weird, I have it running in the background to try and let it download and right now I have what looks like 5 of
      the same package being downloaded. All at different stages.
      it is http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main kde-icons-oxygen 4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Is there any error message while trying to upgrade? That may help us track the problem down.

if you are running KDE4 exclusively, I would suggest trying the latest Intrepid alpha as you will be much more stable than the remix (whch is hardy-based), or at least wait till the first beta, which i imagine should be coming soon.

Comment

No, not getting any errors. It will just hang for a really long time. It looks to be moving along. It says there are 67 packages to install or upgrade and I am now at 68% for the total upgrade.
          I guess maybe it is just a server issue. (keeping fingers crossed)
          How can I upgrade to Intrepid without losing anything that I have set up already?

Comment

you should be fine for many things, but back up your ~/.kde4 directory. I have not tested such an upgrade but some things, like plasmoids saw some big changes from 4.0 so you may loose things like plasmoid settings, or incompatible plasmoid settings rather, and maybe some desktop settings. kYou may find examples of this here in the forums, which is where I noticed some of these things being posted.

Comment

I don't know if this has any relation to your problem or not, but for the last few days I have been trying to install kde on my Ubuntu Intrepid distro. It would not install. Apt-get complained that the package "kdeaddons" was required but not available. As is my usual practice with an Alpha or Beta release, I just waited. Sure enough, after running updates this morning, it installed without a hitch. I also installed XFCE4, I like the simple things.

Comment

not sure about any problems yet, I am still downloading the updates. I am finally at almost 90%.

[edit] ok, it is now done downloading and installing... nothing seems to be freaking out. I guess I need to restart and see if anything breaks. (keeping fingers crossed)

Comment

wEll, EvErything is sEEms to bE working, ExcEpt I can only typE thE lEttEr 'E' in caps.
                  vEry strangE. othEr than that EvErything is grEat, lovE thE nEw KDE4.1.1

[edit] Ok, so after a quick restart the letter 'e' appears to be working again.

Comment

Working...
                  X