This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory

Okay everyone. My computers memory filled up again and I was not even saving anything. I have looked everyplace I can think of to look and still no luck finding where it is that all my hard drive space has gone. My computer has done this once before and I am not sure what fixed it. Is ther something I can do to find out what is going on. This is annoying. This time it stoped at 1.5 GB free space last time it filled up the whole thing. and i could not save anything. but i can just watch the space disappear. without me doing anything.
    thanks for the help.
    wt

Re: memory

How large is the partition where you installed Kubuntu?

Hint: If it is less than 6GB, you're probably fighting a losing battle.

However,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    will remove excess leftovers from package updates. And if it's running OK, you can safely delete (in root mode) the "historic" log files in /var/log. For example, I have:

syslog.0
    syslog.1.gz
    syslog.2.gz
    syslog.6.gz

I could delete all EXCEPT syslog.0 and it wouldn't cause any problem with performance -- it's just history. Same thing with apport.log, dmesg, kdm.log, wpa_supplicant.log, etc.

Comment

Re: memory

I have a 19 GB Hard drive and it should use all of it or a least 17 GB cause I set it up to have the biggest usable disk space possible. i have already used the autoclean. i will try the others.
      and post any further results.
      thanks wt

Comment

Working...
      X