This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing kubuntu.

The reason for removing is that I went about it all wrong. I installed it onto my C:/ drive which it split equally when being loaded. I like what I see about the program and would like to re-install it on an external drive. How can I remove it from my hard disc without having to re-format?

Re: Removing kubuntu.

You don't have to remove it -- just leave it there.
    To remove it, you should delete and/or reformat the Kubuntu partition on C:.
    If C is empty (i.e., there is no Windows), delete all partitions on C and build new partitions.
    Do all this using GParetd Live CD
    GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

If Windows is on C, and if GRUB was installed to the MBR of that drive, then you'll have to re-install the Window bootloader using your Windows CD. (And, of course, if Windows is on C, be careful not to mess with the partition that Windows is on.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I don't quite follow you.

How did you install Kubuntu? did you install it while still running Windows (using the tool called wubi, or did you run the installer from a live-cd or text-based install (after booting your computer from the install disk), which would involve re-partitioning your drive?

I am guessing that you installed the first way, as you specified you installed to a windows drive. I have never used this method, but I do think that you simply uninstall just like you would any windows program. You won't need to reformat anything if you installed this way.

Now if you installed in the 'normal' manner from the live-cd or text-based cd environment, you could of course reformat the linux partition back to a fat/ntfs windows partition.

Comment

I assume by C drive you mean the C partition (windows interpretation) on your HD?

If so then that is where your windows (existent?) lives.

In Linux partitions are named as follows:
        hda1 (sda1) = C
        hda5 (sda5) = D
        etc.

So to get rid of Kubuntu AND you have windows installed do as mike suggested. Delete the parttion where you installed your kubuntu and resize your disk.

Partition your external drive with gparted to reflect something like the following:
        / (root) 6-10 GB format as ext3
        /swap 1GB
        /home as much as you feel like (space for) format as ext3

Install from the cd and use the manual partitioning tool to select and mount your partitions.

Install as usual.

I hope this helps

BThW to reinstall the windows mbr use the windows dvd.

Edit:
        I didn't think of wubi. Yes of course claydoh is right.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Tony!

You can delete Linux partition (or 2 partitions, if you installed a dedicated swap partition) and then extend your windows partition to catch all the free space.

Or you can just format linux partition(s) as NTFS and use them with windows.

* I agree with gparted live cd suggestion from Qqmike.
          Just in case, you feel more comfortable with a windows-like interfaced program (since you're at your first penguin steps), take a look also there: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm (free for home users).

*If your system is unbootable, after deleting the partitions, boot at supergrub disk and choose: "WIN=> MBR &WIN :-(((((((((" (2nd from the bottom).
          Dl supergrub there: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ (at the right column. Choose "Auto for Windows", or CDROM if you're unsure).
          Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Comment

Hi,

I have Kubuntu 6.1 installed, keeping Window XP. Since installation I have not been able to connect to the internet or use this program.

I have just ordered Kubuntu 8.4. Can I now delete 6.1 via Norton Partition Magic and do a complete new installation when the disc arrives?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Vincent

Comment

Sure, (read above) you can also use the live cd installation to simply format your existing 6.10 installation.

As stated above it is advisable to create a separate partition for /home. You can use just about any partitioning application for this.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Fintan,

Thanks for your advice. Will wait for the CD to arrive and will do a reinstallation as 6.1 is out of date and upgrade will be from 7.1 and later. In any case since it does work suggests that many of the files are corrupted? or maybe it was not installed correctly.

Cheers,

Vincent

Comment

Working...
                X