This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant get wireless internet to work.

So, I am dual-booting Vista and Kubuntu right now. Wireless is built into my laptop and worked/works when I am on Vista, But i am unable to use wireless internet on Kubuntu.

I am really new to Linux, and am almost thinking of uninstalling it.. due to this frustrating problem with the wireless connection.

Anyone have any answers?

Thanks.

-Caty

Re: cant get wireless internet to work.

Laptop - make and model? Wireless - make and model? What output do you get when you input into Konsole - Termainal Program:
    lspci
    ?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Plug up a network cable so that you can go on line to get the needed files. Go to the Kmenu and select systems and click on adept manager. When adept manager starts up in the search field type in ndiswrapper. Click the arrow key on the left and select install do this for all of them. Then hit the apply button at the top of the adept manager window. After installing them you will need to get the Windows XP (.inf file) for your wireless card. Find out what kind of wireless card that you have and download the XP driver. If you are in Kubuntu save it to your desktop. After getting ndiswrapper installed and the driver for your wireless card. Click the Kmenu again and go to system or settings and you should see Windows Wireless drivers click on it and the windows wireless driver window will open up.Click to install new driver and find the XP driver and open up the ,inf file and it should show that you hardware is working. Then all you have to do is right click on the ethernet icon at the bottom of your screen and connect to your wireless network.

Comment

Friends,

I have the same issue on a Acer TravelMate 2312LC_L

lspci gives this :

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host (rev 11)
        00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
        00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
        00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
        00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
        00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
        00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
        00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
        00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
        00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
        00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
        00:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
        01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

Please help

Comment

@Mae

Caty_rawrz 's problem was that wireless internet did not work.

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that the Acer TravelMate 2312LC_L does not have wireless built in.

From the lspci it seems that it has
          (1) A modem (00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0))
          (2) Ethernet capability (00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)) and
          (3) A slot which can take a wireless PCMCIA card (00:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02))

My own laptop has a PCMCIA slot with a card in it and shows
          03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here's your basic wireless guidance:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/wireless.html

Comment

@ arochester,
              Thks for help.

The Laptop has a integrated button on the front for Wireless & Bluetooth. They worked fine in windoze but not in ubuntu
              I'll see if I can attach a .jpg showing the buttons, never tried it before.

@dibl,
              Thks will take the long route and do some serious reading.
              Attached Files

Comment

Something looks odd here.

My laptop has buttons and lights for wireless, but it has no built-in wireless!

You are saying that wireless works in Windows. Do you dual boot? What built-in wireless does Windows say is present (Control Panel> System> Hardware?)

I have Googled "Acer TravelMate 2312LC_L" . Most of the sites are Russian or Polish but Google translates. For example http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...jMj%26pwst%3D1 mentions ethernet and modem but NO wireless.

Comment

Hi arochester,

I do not dual-boot on this machine, removed windoze completely and runs only Kubuntu 8.04.

Had a look at the specs you posted and have to agree, see no wireless.
                  The previous owner ran XP and when you pushed the buttons it came on and connected, maybe I am missing something, will get hold of previous owner and ask a few more questions regarding this function.

When I bought it I installed Kubuntu immediately on the laptop.

I will get hold of some external wireless device and run a few tests.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X