This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing java

I'm trying to make and executable out of (jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin)

This is the result.

nate@KbuntoFast:/usr/java$ chmod a+x /home/Desktop/jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    chmod: cannot access `/home/Desktop/jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm.bin': No such file or directory
    nate@KbuntoFast:/usr/java$

what is it i'm doing wrong here ? the file name is exactly right maybe the path but that is the path i understand it to be ??

HELP?

thanks,
    nate

Re: installing java

i'm not sure how you set up your users but it might be that you skipped your user after you went to the home directory for example for me it would be

chmod a+x /home/lee/Desktop/jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm.bin

and another thing is that you might have downloaded the wrong .bin for your distro because kubuntu doesnt use rpm but i could be wrong on that
    &quot;If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn&#39;t thinking.&quot;<br />- General George Patton Jr

Comment

I have succeeded in moving the file jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin into /usr/local. from there at this website instruction # 6

http://www.java.com/en/download/help...selfextracting

I get this as a return ....

nate@KbuntoFast:/usr/local$ jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin
      bash: jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin: command not found
      nate@KbuntoFast:/usr/local$ /jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin
      bash: /jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin: No such file or directory
      nate@KbuntoFast:/usr/local$ ls

I don't know what is wrong with it ?

Thanks to those who have gotten me this far and to those who may help...

thanks,
      Nate

Comment

Try ./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin

Good luck,

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by pa1hgl
          Try ./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin
          That should do it.

Just for completeness and information for the OP:
          './' means 'run from current working directory'...without it the shell will try to find the command in the directories in your $PATH variable (usually consists of the directories containing executables, often ending in '/bin' or '/sbin')

You do know that you can install java from the repositories?

Comment

Kubicle:
            No I do not know that ... I don't even know what the repositories are ..

thanks,
            Nate

This is my results of ............. ./jre-6u7-llinux-i586.bin

yes
            Unpacking...
            ./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin: 338: cannot create install.sfx.5928: Permission denied
            Checksumming...
            /usr/bin/sum: install.sfx.5928: No such file or directory
            [: 365: 46456: unexpected operator
            [: 365: 19275: unexpected operator
            chmod: cannot access `install.sfx.5928': No such file or directory
            Extracting...
            ./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin: 368: ./install.sfx.5928: not found
            Failed to extract the files. Please refer to the Troubleshooting section of
            the Installation Instructions on the download page for more information.
            nate@KbuntoFast:/usr/local$

don't know what caused that ? Am I trying to install into the wrong directory?

Comment

Originally posted by tbrownarcher
              I don't even know what the repositories are ..
              Repositories are online software sources which you can use to install most software (this is the preferred method of installing software for various reasons...provided you have a working internet connection).

For example, You can install Sun java with the command:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
              (that will download and install it...you may need to accept the license agreement during installation)

You can also browse and install software with point'n'click GUI tools like Adept (installed by default on kubuntu) or Synaptic.

More information: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin: 338: cannot create install.sfx.5928: Permission denied
              If you still wish to install manually (though I strongly recommend using apt), you need root access to work in /usr/local...use sudo to extract
              Code:
              sudo ./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin

Comment

kubicle:
                I want to install java for the purpose of programs that use it and I don't want to have to tell every program where to find java everytime i install a new one. So how and where should i install it to accomplish that?

Thank,
                Nate

Comment

Code:
                  [quote=kubicle ]

[code[size=2][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]]sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Kubicle:

I did this command you gave me (thanks)

This seems to have worked i"M not totally sure yet but one of the things i don't understand about linux it when it installs where do things go? It seems to sort of splash across the landscape! Is that a proper assessment. Windows has program files which I don't like but it seems organizable .. How do I keep track of the organization here What is it I'm not understanding?

Thanks,
                  Nate

Comment

if you just want to see what you have installed you can open Adept by going to Kmenu >System >Adept package manager
                    in the boxes at the top, uncheck the "not installed" box, and it will give you the list of what you have installed on your system.
                    Adept is the package manager that comes with Kubuntu. You can install and unstall packages (programs, dependencies) from here. It is very easy to use.
                    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by tbrownarcher

one of the things i don't understand about linux it when it installs where do things go? It seems to sort of splash across the landscape! Is that a proper assessment. Windows has program files which I don't like but it seems organizable .. How do I keep track of the organization here What is it I'm not understanding?
                      Nate, that is but one of the things that you learned about Windows that is totally useless with Linux. Actually, almost nothing about the way Windows works is helpful for using a Linux system. You don't have to worry about "where" program files go on your system. You only have to learn to use one of the package manager GUIs -- Adept Manager is the default Kubuntu package management GUI. A lot of people like Synaptic better. So do KMenu>System>Adept Manager, give your password when it asks, and you will be able to see the 23,000 packages that are available, and the ones that are installed already. Then you can mark additional ones for installation if you want them.

The only "place" you normally need to know about is your /home/nate folder, and any other data partitions that you may have -- that's where your stuff goes.

Comment

dibl:

Thanks a bunch! ....

So when I move things into directories i think they should go in I'm actually just cluttering my machine? Also I guess i should be looking for programs to install FIRST in Adept? That seems a good way to operate.

So what do I do with this now? Reinstall? EVERYTHING? JUST START OVER? :>) Maybe I will. My thing is I hate clutter.

When i download a program the download manager (firefox) default downloads it to my Desktop. I hate that because it looks like clutter but .... SHOULD I change it to another directory ? If so what directory?

When I download and install because i don't find it in adept what procedure do i use and how do i know it works? The result has to be an executable file somewhere . Where do i find it ? I like to put THAT on my desktop as a shortcut if i can find it .

I'm trying to install a program called wordbiz. It's an on line scrabble game. It is at 'www.isc.ro' there is a linux version and after looking in Adept and not finding it i need to know the answer to the previous questions.

Thanks a whole lot,
                        Nate

Comment

Working...
                        X