• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java installation problem.

Hi!

I tried to install java through adept.
    However that was a complete failure!
    Java installation broken just after accepting the license and adept informed me that it can't install it, because it will brake some other already installed packages.
    I'm getting the same message, when I'm trying to uninstall the incomplete installation.
    Now at every startup, the updater is downloading some security updates that can't install.

I tried installing java manually from sun's site and indeed now I'm able to run java apps and view java pages at konqueror (although I couldn't enable java at firefox).

Unfortunately, the manual java installation, is not solving the adept (and the updater) problem!
    Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Re: Java installation problem.

Which "Java"? JDE, JRE or something else?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      This will fix it 99.998% of the time without further commands.

Code:
      sudo apt-get autoclean
      Optional

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install
      Code:
      sudo apt-get autoremove
      Optional

These commands will no longer need to be run in the KDE4 port of Adept, from what I have heard...

This will not fix the fact that you still don't have java installed... it will just "reset" Adept so it will work again.

Edit: I had the -f in the wrong position...
      I've also used a
      Code:
      sudo apt-get -f install
      to fix some problems, but I am not sure what that -f switch does differently than the usual command.

Comment

THANKS guys!!!

Solved now!
        Adept uninstalled succesfully the corrupted java installation!
        I installed manually java, with the help of instructions from sun's site.

Comment

Hi!

I was trying kde4 today, and from the first things I tried, is this particular java installation, to see if autoinstall through adept, is working for me.

Choosing it from adept menu, after download and initial installation steps, brings me the eula accept inside the adept informational screen (while kde3 is poping up an normal window).

http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adeptyj2.png

Does someone knows how can I deal with it?
          I tried several keyboard keys (like enter, spacebar, tab, etc.) and combinations, but none of them is working with this screen.
          Using the mouse, I can only copy text from there.

Sounds silly, but...... how can I press "OK" (and accept the eula)?

Comment

I came across one of those lately too that I couldn't tab up to as I normally would... so instead I had to finish the install from the command line, with one of those sudo apt-get update or upgrade or maybe it was even --configure -a since I had to kill Adept at that point...

Comment

With the screen at that stage IIRC you cannot accept the terms. You have to scroll down with the down arrow key to the bottom at which point you can then accept.

Silly I know!

Comment

THANKS guys!!!

I'll try the command prompt options.
                Meanwhile, pressing the down key, doesn't seems to do something.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

[EDIT]

Meanwhile, I rolled back at KDE 3.5.
                V.4 is great, but I was really missing the "open" and "edit" as root options!
                Missing these options, is not an option for beginners!

Since I reinstall kubuntu from scratch, I installed java (and the related browser plugin) with Synaptic this time, and installation was simple and straightforward.
                Finally I managed to see Duke (java's mascot) dancing at "verify java installation" firefox page!

Comment

Working...
                X