X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstall XP and remove Linux

Hi all,

I am a newb with linux, original i had issues with window xp (virus kicked in) so i decided to reformat my computer and try linux.

Found that Kubuntu was not for me, so i am attempting to reinstall xp, forsome reason my xp cd is not loaded even when i change the BIOS settings.

I was wondering if someone can step me through a way to completely remove Kubuntu and re install window xp?

Thank you in advanced.

Re: Reinstall XP and remove Linux

If you cant get your system to boot off the XP cd ... then you may have a problem with the cd or optical drive.
    Can you boot off a xubuntu Live cd? If so then problem is with the XP cd ... try polishing it with a soft cloth there may be grease marks etc on the cd making it difficult for the optical drive to read.

If the problem is with Optical Drive ... change it or try cleaning its lense

Comment

I would suggest that you don't give up on Linux yet! It sounds like you barely had a chance to get acquainted with it. I would also suggest trying Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu because it's a bit simpler for newcomers than Kubuntu.

It can seem like a big leap at first, but using Linux does get easier as you progress, and is a lot of fun! Windows may seem easier now, but look at the big picture: Windows is high maintenance. Windows needs to be re-installed every year or two even under ideal circumstances, but more likely it will get more viruses, spyware or other malware that will screw it up sooner. The file system is not very stable and needs constant defragmenting. The other thing to consider is that Microsoft will be dropping support for Windows XP soon, so you will be forced to upgrade. A little effort in the direction of learning Linux will help you avoid all that and get you on the path to a better future for you and your PC.

Can any other enthusiasts out there add some more reasons not to give up on Linux yet?

Comment

Originally posted by gatenby_jp
        If you cant get your system to boot off the XP cd ... then you may have a problem with the cd or optical drive.
        Can you boot off a xubuntu Live cd? If so then problem is with the XP cd ... try polishing it with a soft cloth there may be grease marks etc on the cd making it difficult for the optical drive to read.

If the problem is with Optical Drive ... change it or try cleaning its lense
        Agreed. This should not be a problem caused by your kubuntu installation. Confirm that your kubuntu live cd does/does not work, and then post those results plus make and model of your computer, and perhaps we can help. Sounds like perhaps your change to the boot order in teh BIOS settings didn't save??

Originally posted by mjc
        ...Can any other enthusiasts out there add some more reasons not to give up on Linux yet?
        Perhaps this user just wasn't ready... or maybe s/he found some work apps or access couldn't work with linux... there are plenty of legitimate reasons to use Windows XP, and SP2 is not a bad OS (the file system is not very stable Kubuntu 8.04 support will be dropped before XP will be [just making that up there, but it can't be far off]...), as long as you are behind a NAT router and use some common sense, it's fine. The better advice is to get users switched to Firefox, Openoffice.org, (and to a lesser degree, Picassa, Skype, etc.) so that when the opportunity to switch arises again, they are "ready".

Comment

Thank for the help guys.

The computer i installed kubuntu on is a vaio laptop vgn ci140g.

Ive tried several alternatives to test where the error is occuring...

1: cd rom issue: the kubuntu installation disk works fine during bootup
          2: Window cd: Ive cleaned the disk/wiped the disk as instructed i have 2 original copies of Window xp. however, it still does not work.
          3: BIOS setting seem to be saving because when i disable internal hard drive from BIOS setting it does not load from HD.

Comment

Originally posted by kira_84
            Thank for the help guys.

The computer i installed kubuntu on is a vaio laptop vgn ci140g....
            Well, you seemed to have covered everything there... I suppose you could try the Windows install disk on another computer... that is the only wildcard left... but like you say, you have two of them...

Dang... I don't know what else to try...

Edit: I did once have a Windows install disk that "stopped working" for a while... I never did figure out what happened, but then it just finally booted... so maybe try it 5-10 times in a row and hope for the best.

Comment

As kjjjjshab says, keep trying it.
              And/or, in conjunction with that ...
              Try putting the XP CD in the tray, re-booting, and *manually* entering BIOS setup, manually choosing the CD drive (as first boot drive).

idle thoughts:
              Just as the guys have said, this has nothing to do with Kubuntu having been installed. It has to do solely with the XP CD not booting. Once it boots, you can use it to overwrite Kubuntu and the Master Boot Record, installing XP and its stuff. Should you want to wipe the drive--and it is not necessary that you do so--you can always use GParted Live CD to delete all partitions, then let GParted install a DOS Disk Label (when prompted), then create one new partition, then run the XP installer CD.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi all,

thank you all for trying to help me to resolve this issue. I have used Gparted live to delete all my partitions, this seem to solve the problem because at start up the computer recognized the window xp installation cd.

again thank you all !

Comment

Weird stuff... glad to hear it worked out for you.

Comment

Yes, kira_84, glad you persisted and got this fixed. Though, we may not be sure Why it worked or if it was a "coincidence." One thing does seem certain: GParted is reliable and is often a safe place to start when starting fresh and clean on partitioning issues.
                    Glad you got it!
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X