This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get data out of hard drive

Ok, here's the story: My laptops hard drive obviously went a bit off and it won't start up windows so I figured I'd try to run Kubuntu from cd and then from there try to recover some files.

I can't however figure out how to easily move data from hdd as I'm running Kubuntu from a cd as it clearly does not recognize my memory stick. (I tried to look it from "storage devices" or what's it called, didn't appear there) So does anyone have any good ideas how to transfer some of files to safety? I thought ethernet connection too but I really don't know how to do that.. and I'd need to do the connection bethween a machine running Windows and my laptop running Kubuntu...

Please, share your ideas with me, I'm really getting desperate here...

Re: How to get data out of hard drive

If I understand you correctly, you are able to boot up with the live CD, and access your hard drive, but your computer is not recognizing your USB stick. You might try a different live CD, such as Knoppix, which is well regarded for rescue abilities. If you can't find another distro that will recognize your USB stick you might remove the hard drive from your laptop and recover your important files using a

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020&cpc=SCH

I own one of these and I think it is one of the best things I ever bought.

Comment

As Detonate said, Knoppix is the standard rescue disk (Live CD).

However, first try this:
      From your Live Kubuntu CD,
      K > System Settings > Advanced (tab at top) > Disk & Filesystems
      Administrator Mode (button at lower right)
      See if the USB stick is recognized in the list.
      If so, highlight it
      Modify
      And set a mount point
      (example: if it is /dev/sdc, the mount point could be called (arbitrarily) /media/sdc)
      Then click so Any User can use it at any time
      and click Writable
      OK
      In the original D & F screen, make sure it says Enabled (if not, highlight the device and click Enable at the bottom).
      Close out.
      See if you see it on Desktop.
      If not,
      Storage Devices (in Konqueror),
      and you might have to highlight it and Right-Click > Mount.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Is your hard drive dead or not? Can BIOS recognize it? If it's dead then linux livecd won't help you.

Comment

It's not totally dead but it Windows can't boot from it. I was able to boot from Kubuntu cd though and see the files through there... I think I'm going to try these tips here first to see if I can get data out through some other OS. And if it doesn't work I have to take the drive out, though it seems to be mounted pretty tight in there (Acer Aspire 5102) and I'm not totally confident on how to get the hard drive out of there...

Comment

rahei, Disk & Filesystems should work. (If it doesn't--but I think it will work!--you might leave the flash drive plugged in and re-boot into Kubuntu and see if it's detected.)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

again
              rahei, as I say, I'm 99.2734% certain you can get this through Kubuntu and D & F.
              Should you end up in Knoppix, here's a few tips on it that'll you need to use it
              (scroll down to the section on Knoppix; you can safely ignore TestDisk and PhotoRec):

RESCUE Partitions & Data
              Data Rescue Links & Comments & Tips
              TestDisk -- PhotoRec -- Knoppix (or other Live CDs)
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091847.0

(I'll be gone most of the day early today, so wanted to drop this off just in case...)

Comment

Thanks a lot for all of your responses! Problem is now somewhat solved as I got Puppy Linux to burn some of the files for me (even though I ran it from live cd!). As I tried to make another dvd to get some more files out it didn't start burning though, but I'll look into it again some other day, see if I can get it burn some more.

Comment

Working...
                X