This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu computer crash

Please can you help me to restore my Kubuntu computer to normal after being gradually closed down by a foolish command which I executed.

The computer was originally installed with a 7.10 distro and its hardware data reported to the Kubuntu Hardware Database on 2nd March and this ID was issued for it:
    4e8fa6f805592b4524f99a78a5db1401

Two batches of “updates” yielded a distro of 8.04. The next batch of “updates” on 10th July gave some errors (in a number of the updated files) but did not affect the use I was making of the computer until I downloaded a tutorial file “Think Python” and applied some early exercises on the command line.

Inputting “>>>help()” gave rational information and tips, including e.g. inputting help > “modules” which should yield a list of modules each of which comes with a one line summary of what it does.

In practice this input eventually yielded:
    “Attribute Error: module object has no attribute;
    ‘Date Time – Get Number of Days in Year’”
    I decided to delete all the python software that had been previously installed (which had possibly been affected by the last batch of updates) and then reinstall python software from the internet.

The deletion stage went well but then I foolishly clicked the still running session to load fresh files ! This caused chaos, including a message that “KDE is unavailable” After twice closing down the computer ceased to be capable of booting.

Re: Kubuntu computer crash

"After twice closing down the computer ceased to be capable of booting." Do you get anything at all?

You may be better to do a complete reinstall. Look at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3096164.0 and scroll down to the post by Fintan. He tells you how to possibly save your /home. Another way is to use a LiveCD and move/copy everything you want to save to an external usb.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

When omitting keying DEL, TAB or ESC the displays on the monitor are:-

Starting up…
      Loading, please wait
      kinit: name-to-dev-t(dev/disk/bg-unid/712bcef-0cfe-4cef-bd5c-aedf124c7301)=sda5(85)
      kinit: name to resume (dev/disk/bg-unid/712bcef-0cfe-4cef-bd5c-aedf124c7301)
      kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot.
      Downloading
      Kubuntu icon displays kernel scan? Twice
      Ubuntu 8.04.1 ubuntu tty1
      ubuntu login: “name”
      Password: “password”
      [where “name” and “password were the ones I had adopted for the Kubuntu program where this password gave me boot authority as a single user]
      Last login Friday Aug 1 14:45 2008 on :0
      Linux ubuntu 2.6.14-19-generic 1 SMP Friday Jul 11 23:49 UTC 2008 1686
      ……………..
      user@ubuntu:~$

I tried many shutdown (options) on the above statement but these were always rejected either because “delay time expected” of (when delay was included) by “need to be root”.
      This bias against my password is unfortunate.

Your suggestion of reloading (presumably of a Kubuntu 8.04 distro) is very attractive. May I ask you for some tips on this Or could you point me towards similar FAQs
      Thank you very much.
      Norad

Comment

It's hard to know what all may be wrong with that system -- arochester is probably correct that a new installation will be needed. With a Live CD you should be able to save your user data to a removable storage device.

Regarding installation and set up for 8.04:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

and

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/newtoubuntu/C/index.html

(Basic installation and configuration is the same for Kubuntu and Ubuntu).

Since it is pretty messed up already, maybe an experiment:

Originally posted by Norad

user@ubuntu:~$
        Are you able to issue commands from this prompt? If so, try this one:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
        If your repository sources are intact, this should install the KDM and KDE packages. Then if you are lucky
        Code:
        startx
        will start the X server and let you log in.

Comment

I agree with dibl.

My first thought was: Do you have access to Grub and can you try a previous kernel?

My second thought was also:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          - either in Recovery mode or a previous kernel.
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
          X