Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Drivers Need help to install?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Drivers Need help to install?!

I've been doing some research and all popular opinion seems to dictate that X-Fi drivers are not available. Well I have downloaded some OFFICIAL BETA drivers directly from Creative

XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18.tar.gz

Release date: 16 Apr 08
    According to the manufacturer’s release note:

This download is a beta driver providing Linux® 32-bit / 64-bit OS support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

Take note of the following:

* THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. There is no technical support for this driver.
    * This beta driver has only been tested on the following 32-bit / 64-bit Linux distributions: Ubuntu® 7.10, openSUSE® 10.3 and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 5.1 (64-bit only).
    * We recommend that only experienced users install this driver. Do not install this driver on a system used to perform critical tasks.
    * Your feedback is a valuable part of our development process. To submit feedback on this driver, visit the Sound Blaster X-Fi Linux Beta Driver Feedback Program.

This download is intended for the following audio devices only:

* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty®
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Current release features:

* ALSA PCM Playback
    * ALSA Record
    * ALSA Mixer

Added Features or Enhancements:

* Supports GCC version 4
    * Supports Linux 64-bit and 32-bit OS

Known issues:

* S/PDIF passthrough is not supported in this driver release.
    * External I/O modules are not supported in this driver release.
    * Applications from the original Sound Blaster X-Fi Installation CD will not work with this driver.

Requirements:

* Linux x86 / x86_64 OS
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above

Notes:

* To install the driver, do the following:
    1. Download the XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18.tar.gz package onto your local hard disk.
    2. Double-click the downloaded package to unpack its contents.
    3. Read the README file and follow the instructions.

Now, from other information I have read, these drivers take an experienced hand to install and I am asking if anyone could take the time to write a step-by-step tutorial for even the absolute beginner to understand and install these drivers.

I come from a very long history in PC gaming, Game/Website/Application alpha/beta testing and multimedia editing. And in all of these having a quality sound card is crucial to doing your job and, I hope that someone with this knowledge and experience can step up and show the masses how to take advantage of these quality cards (despite the company that makes them, I don't agree with many of their views on "alternate OS's" or 3rd party driver assistance) and I think this could show a fairly nice influx of newer users once they realize they can use their gaming rigs and make the switch to a morally better OS.

Please pardon if what I'm asking already exists, I've done quiet a bit of Google searches and forum searches and none of my results have yielded any information.

The masses beg for this, I hope someone can show us the light!

Re: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Drivers Need help to install?!

"these drivers take an experienced hand to install and I am asking if anyone could take the time to write a step-by-step tutorial for even the absolute beginner to understand and install these drivers"

Looks like there are two options:

EASIER - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...81&postcount=2 . "4.1 beta adds support for the Asus Xonar DX and Creative X-fi PCI-e cards" . Use the .deb method (miss out 6a) . Start at the beginning and work through. Use copy and paste into the Terminal, rather than typing in. Might look daunting, but it isn't!

MORE DIFFICULT - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=675
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have been following the tutorial listed with the c&p commands (using the 6a method) but I have become a little confused by step 7
      "7. Add a new custom application launcher to the panel that runs the command: ossxmix - That's ossxmix, not ossmix, Name the launcher whatever you want and pick an icon. I named mine "Mixer" and chose /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/status/stock_volume-med.png as my icon."

Being a new user I'm unsure on how to complete this step. Also, do I still use the second command in step 6?
      Code:
      sudo soundon

Comment

Well I'd still like my previous question answered but it does appear that I now have sound (was tryin to get flash installed and was testing it and it had sound!)

Comment

"Add a new custom application launcher to the panel" See https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/user-gu...launchers.html
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
          X