X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Versions question.

Hi!

Just 1 question about adept packages:

If I go to adept and choose a program for installation, then the installer is indeed installing it as expected and without any side effects.
    My question is, why the installed apps, are outdated? Some of them are really very outdated!

OK! I'm not an update maniac, but isn't it a security hole?
    Eg. I'm using videolan at windows too, and I can recall that a recent version had a security problem with video subtitles (that was affected linux PCs as well), that is fixed at the latest versions.
    Azureus installation, is still at classic v.2. This is good for me, but I'm really wondering if it is safe to stay online for hours with a way too old client.

Since I'm just a newby, what are you doing at your own systems?
    Do you have the adept versions installed or do you installing manually the latest versions from authors sites?
    Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Re: Versions question.

If I go to adept and choose a program for installation, then the installer is indeed installing it as expected and without any side effects.
    My question is, why the installed apps, are outdated? Some of them are really very outdated!
    Adept just chooses the application that is newest in the repository relevant to your installation.

These applications have been tested to the version of your installed distribution.

That means that Gutsy has a different repository than Hardy, etc.

Not all latest versions of an application are trustworthy in a given environment, unless you want to live on the "edge" and really know what you are doing stay away and just upgrade your distro when you feel confident. That way you will always have the latest stable application for that version.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Adept is just a GUI front end for dpkg -- the Debian package management system, which uses *buntu repositories, plus any other repos that you may choose to add. Synaptic is another GUI front end that people use -- it comes with Ubuntu but is also available to install on Kubuntu. The packages in the *buntu repos can be safely assumed to be malware-free. The age, or version status, of a package in the repos is not a reason to be concerned about malware.

As Fintan says, going outside of the repos and downloading packages from their authors' sites is probably slightly less secure than staying with the repos. I certainly wouldn't advocate doing that just to get a more recent version -- there may be a good reason why the repos do not yet have the more recent version (stability). Unless the version from the repo doesn't work, you should use it and not go seeking trouble with a more recent version.

Comment

There are many kind of repositories:

> Repositories
        A Quick, Tongue-in-cheek Description of the Ubuntu Repositories

* $release: Don’t touch it, I like consistency, even with my bugs.

* $release-security: I’ll accept patches to existing versions (and very rare version upgrades if absolutely necessary) in the process of keeping my system secure.

* $release-updates: Okay, some bugs are worth fixing, and I trust you this much (holds up two fingers like Maxwell Smart).

* $release-backports: I have something akin to technology ADHD, needing the latest of everything I can possibly get, but I can’t handle running the development branch.

* $devel: I can take it. Seriously. If you break my X, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. I’ll file and maybe even fix the bugs and I’ll do it even if power management is not so much ‘managed’ as vomited all over the wall. Come get some.

* Debian: We do the work so you don’t have to.

> Backports
        What are Backports

Ubuntu releases a new version of its OS every 6 months. After a release, the version of all packages stays constant for the entire 6 months. For example, if Ubuntu ships with OpenOffice.org 2.0.x, it will remain at OpenOffice.org 2.0.x for the entire 6-month release cycle, even if a later version gets released during this time. The Ubuntu team may apply important security fixes to 2.0.x, but any new features or non-security bugfixes will not be made available.

This is where Ubuntu Backports comes in. The Backports team believes that the best update policy is a mix of Ubuntu's security-only policy AND providing new versions of some programs...
        How to request new packages

When you need a package backported which is not currently available, create a new bug report in the Backports Product of Launchpad...
        Filing requests. We would not know what to do without your input

Azureus / Hardy
        Package: azureus (2.5.0.4-1ubuntu4)
        Azureus / Intrepid
        Package: azureus (3.1.1.0-3ubuntu1)

> PPA (Personal Package Archives)
        Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad. You can find out more about PPAs and how to use them in our quick-start guide.
        Installing software from a PPA
        PPAs work like normal Ubuntu archives. You can install software in the usual way - for example, through apt-get or synaptic - and whenever there's an update Ubuntu will prompt you to install it.

Important: when you install software from a PPA, Ubuntu will warn you that it is unsigned. PPA packages are unsigned because they are not official Ubuntu packages. You should make sure that you're confident in the PPA owner's abilities before you install their packages.

=>

Show PPAs matching: Azureus

=>

PPA for Stefano Maioli has azureus - 3.1.1.0 (Intrepid)
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

THANKS Fintan!!!
          THANKS dibl!!!
          THANKS Rog131!!!

Now I understood why the (slightly at most cases) behind the latest versions.
          I'll stick with them and avoid installing non testes versions.

THANKS AGAIN for you help!!!
          Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Comment

You are welcome.
            Welcome to the party and btw your face seems familiar
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan