X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox not loading plugins! Why?

Hi Guys,

I been helping a friend switch over to Linux from Windows. I have only been using Linux myself for 3 months and am still new at the process. It is frustrating though that i am running into problems that i never faced with my install.

First thing i did was install Guarddog and set the rules to only chat, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, and the email stuff.

I went to a flash-enabled site and Firefox realized i needed Flash player, but when i clicked to install...it was searching and then i got a window that said "install manually" Is Firefox using a service that i might have possibly blocked through Guarddog or is this a common problem with Firefox.

I tried this on a normal user and through the Super user account. Any info on this would be much helpful!

Re: Firefox not loading plugins! Why?

My guess! is that it is a newer flash version not out yet for Linux. Why don't you post the site and I/others can tell you whether they can open it?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well, i think maybe you didn't understand my question. Flash isn't loaded at all by default in Firefox...so when i went to a flashplayer enabled site...it noticed i needed flashplayer; but for some reason it couldn't communicate with the server to download the plugin and stated that i needed to install it manually. It then provided Adobe's website that i could download the tar package. I was trying to show this other person how easy it is to install plugins with Firefox and well..made me look stupid Oh well, i thought maybe it was the firewall blocking Firefox...could it be?

Comment

Just get flash from the repository(search in adept), that will show your friend how easy kubuntu is.

Comment

capnmoney,

I actually tried searching there and i couldn't find it Is it possible that i just didn't have a repo active that isn't active during default install?

Comment

Nevermind. I found a very helpful site that explains how to do it. I am not at this friends computer yet so i will have to try it out tonight. Here's the website just in case someone wants to refer people to it as well.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...n-kubuntu-804/

Thanks

Comment

Yup, Pyschocats site is a very good resource to have bookmarked. The information there has assisted many a new Linux convert.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

also, another good 'How-to' site is http://www.howtoforge.com
                &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Working...
                X