Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely new Linux user having several install problems, please advise!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completely new Linux user having several install problems, please advise!

What is your sound chip, and what makes you think that a downloaded driver is required?

Comment

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi, I downloaded the drivers today but I dont know how to install them. There wasnt any downloads available through the hardware manager/adept.

Comment

Hmmmmm. Says here no ALSA driver has been written for that card yet:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...-Creative_Labs

Did you find another kind of Linux driver for it?

Comment

XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18.tar.gz

This is the Linux driver available from Creative

Comment

I guess this is pretty much the cut and dry portion of this issue, if I cannot use my soundcard then its pretty obvious that this will be my end of use for K/Ubuntu. One of the primary reasons for this interest into Linux was a multimedia player and if I cant use my audio I guess I'm done. I'm not going to use onboard audio when I have a $120 soundcard in my system nor do I wish to swap out my speak cables etc to use onboard audio.

Is there any distro on Linux that can use my Creative Soundblaster X-Fi? If not, then I guess my time with Linux is over...

Comment

According to the manufacturer’s release note:

This download is a beta driver providing Linux® 32-bit / 64-bit OS support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

Take note of the following:

* THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. There is no technical support for this driver.
              * This beta driver has only been tested on the following 32-bit / 64-bit Linux distributions: Ubuntu® 7.10, openSUSE® 10.3 and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 5.1 (64-bit only).
              * We recommend that only experienced users install this driver. Do not install this driver on a system used to perform critical tasks.
              * Your feedback is a valuable part of our development process. To submit feedback on this driver, visit the Sound Blaster X-Fi Linux Beta Driver Feedback Program.

This download is intended for the following audio devices only:

* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
              * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
              * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty®
              * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
              * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Current release features:

* ALSA PCM Playback
              * ALSA Record
              * ALSA Mixer

Added Features or Enhancements:

* Supports GCC version 4
              * Supports Linux 64-bit and 32-bit OS

Known issues:

* S/PDIF passthrough is not supported in this driver release.
              * External I/O modules are not supported in this driver release.
              * Applications from the original Sound Blaster X-Fi Installation CD will not work with this driver.

Requirements:

* Linux x86 / x86_64 OS
              * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above

Notes:

* To install the driver, do the following:
              1. Download the XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18.tar.gz package onto your local hard disk.
              2. Double-click the downloaded package to unpack its contents.
              3. Read the README file and follow the instructions.

From what I have read these drivers require an experienced hand to install, I dont suppose anyone with a vast Linux knowledge would care to write some form of install guide for those of us that havent a clue on how to do it?

Comment

Bummer.

Well, it would appear that you have inadvertently ventured into a situation where the hardware isn't supported (yet) with open-source drivers, and the only proprietary driver available is the beta one you downloaded. This is a disadvantage of the GNU/Linux OS -- all hardware isn't supported.

I guess if this situation means your Kubuntu installation has to go, then there is nothing for you to lose (except time and tranquility) by attempting to follow those instructions in the README file. The fact that it was tested and works on 7.10 is a hopeful sign -- I would expect it to also work on 8.04. Possibly you will become the expert who can explain what it takes to install that driver, and then your writeup might help the next unfortunate soul who ends up in this predicament.

Good luck, with whatever direction you choose to go.

Comment

Well I've hopefully put out an APB (All points bulletin) for all the Linux guru's out there, I have made several posts on separate forums (other sites) in hopesto generate some desire for one of the masters to come out of hiding and help the masses, X-fi is the number one card on the market and has been for several years now so I know the demand is there... just need someone to come out and help us!

I made a new post in this forum as well as it doesn;t really cover the topic of this threads original problem and solution, I think it deserves its own attention.

Comment

Finger, since you are using a ASUS SLI motherboard (I use a ASUS MA2-VM)....I would suggest that you look again into your board's BIOS.
                    To see IF the APCI 'option' is both Enabled and 'greyed-out' as such.

If it is, maybe this why your Install 'efforts'....do ONLY go so far as they do.

With every attempt you make, you apparently overlook ONE tiny 'detail'......in the Install process, every time.

It is the very 'fleeting appearance' of this LINE, after you get past the "language" window............

"Press 'ESC', to enter Menu."

I have to use this option/method.............on my ASUS motherboard.
                    Every time I do an install of Linux. (Yeah, I'm 'tinkering/experimenting'...meaning that I INDEED do a lot of Installing/Uninstalling, as I do my best to learn 'HOW' Linux does work

Reason?

My APCI 'setting'...in BIOS, is Enabled (and 'greyed-out'.)

This Menu ONLY appears...for the count of 7.
                    Are you missing it?

I use the 'option'...where it says ("with APCI problems")

Why?

Because, simply, that is 'why'..........my attempts to Install.tend to just sit there/go nowhere......IF I do not USE this 'option'!

You are using a ASUS SLI motherboard, therfore I think I am assuming, very correctly, that you are ALSO using a Dual-Core CPU.
                    This means, to me, that your BIOS's APCI is also Enabled/Greyed-out.

I use this 'option'...only the ONE time!

When I Install, after that, there is no further need to.
                    The Installation DOES proceed, normally.

Personally, I think, like most who consider themself a 'computer-whiz' when it comes to Linux......you tend to overdo the 'HAVE-TO-CONFIGURE-EVERYTHING-SIGHT' notion.......of 'how-to' to use Linux.

I also use a Creative Sound card.
                    Not a X-FI one...but, an Audigy ...designed to be compatiable with VISTA. I don't need anything heavier than that.
                    Simply because I an NOT trying to play SOUND so loud that All the neighbourhood gets to HEAR me.

I treasure my ear-drums, sport! As well as those of my neighbours!
                    I think you do need a 'dose of Reality'.....and, a stronger need....to go back to 'Basics'....where computers/people are concerned!
                    You are in an almighty rush....to prove to everyone....that you are a major 'computer-whiz'........(you're not@...you're still 'fumbling around in the dark'..like the rest of us are doing.)

Comment

Maybe this will be of use:
                      http://connect.creativelabs.com/linu.../AllItems.aspx

Could you post that ominous readme here so that we can have a peek?

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X