Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely new Linux user having several install problems, please advise!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completely new Linux user having several install problems, please advise!

Well I rebooted and it takes me to an option screen with 3 choices: Generic Mode, Recovery Mode, and Memtest 86

I tried the first one and it shows a splash screen with the bar bouncing back and forth then after a few minutes of that it takes me to a dos looking screen called Busybox 1.1.3 and it has a promt to type at with (initramfs)<my text here>

Only commands I could get any use from was help (commands list) and reboot

I tried the second option (recovery mode) and it took me through a long fast scrolling list of devices etc etc then it just stops and I have the option to type but no idea what to do.

So this is where I'm at now... stuck, seemed to be a clean install but i have no idea what to do next. Help?

UPDATE EDIT:

I found another post that sounds similar to mine, however before you read know that I am using the 32bit Live CD and I have completed the install but during boot I have no options other then the three listed here.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097018.0

Comment

Looks like there is some help down this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093656.0

Comment

Will try that now, will post when I am finished

Comment

I tried the "irqpoll" at and near the end of the boot line

root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash (put the irqpoll before and after the splash on seperate attempts)

and I even tried it on the recovery mode option

Still same end result, long loading splash screen then it takes me to the Busybox screen

Comment

You might want to play with the acpi options -- I don't use them and can't remember them. acpi=off, maybe and nolapic -- search the forum for the exact options.

Comment

I saw those options in the help menu on the boot screen, but I have no idea how to implement them or their proper placement

Comment

Here's a thread where the guy listed them all -- doesn't look like he prevailed, but perhaps you will.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9895.0

Comment

still unsure about the usage of these commands....

how are they utilized?

Comment

They go at the end of the "kernel=" line in your boot menu. So, when your boot menu comes up, you press "e" to edit, and then you can use the cursor to put the "acpi=off" or whatever at the end of the existing text, with a leading space, and then press "r" to return and then "b" to boot that kernel. The change is not permanent, so if one happens to work, you need to remember what you did so you can edit that line permanently, where it appears in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst.

EDIT: At the bottom of this page are the "common to Linux" boot cheat codes:

http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcode...eatcodes-linux

Comment

Well I tried all the acpi commands, ide, and several other commands and combinations with no success, I even tried playing with some BIOS settings to see if that made any difference... and nothing

I'm not sure if I should give up on Linux completely or if there is a different distro that might be better suited for a working install

Is there any real difference between distros with the installation process or is it all pretty much the GUI/Desktop thats different?

Comment

So I guess no one has any more suggestions? Could anyone at least answer my last question about distro differences?

I've downlaoded Linux Mint 5 XFCE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu so far, would any of these have a better chance at install? Or any distro for that matter?

Comment

"I've downlaoded Linux Mint 5 XFCE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu so far, would any of these have a better chance at install? Or any distro for that matter?"

The way you answer your question is that you try them (it's free).
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@Finger, try a couple of the VGA codes before you give it up.

vga=791 and vga=785 are popular ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                              "I've downlaoded Linux Mint 5 XFCE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu so far, would any of these have a better chance at install? Or any distro for that matter?"

The way you answer your question is that you try them (it's free).
                              Trying them is not going to tell me if they will install with any greater success then I have already tried, the Live CD only tells me so much and being that Ubuntu has one of the largest support communities around I know help will be there and programs will be plentiful as well. All the Live CD's worked without issue but it seems I've had nothing but problems when its come to the install portion.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                                @Finger, try a couple of the VGA codes before you give it up.

vga=791 and vga=785 are popular ones.
                                Just tried them and still a no go

Comment

Working...
                                X