X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and HLDS, some issues

Hi!

I'm the game server and server administrator on this LAN party I am arranging with some friends, and I figured that i should set up an HLDS-server, so we have a counter-strike server to play on. I started by downloading Kubuntu, and installing it on an old computer that was more than good enough to handle the server with 32 players. I chose the name for the kubuntu user to be stamsund, and a password. (I am telling you this so it will be easier for you to help me). I then entered terminal mode, typed in sudo bash and logged in with my password, and then created a folder named hlds (I'm not sure of the path atm, but if you need it, i can post it tomorrow). Then i downloaded, installed, configured and set up the server.
    I had some issues at first, couldn't manage to get it online, so it was working lan-only, but its fixed now.

Then, I found out that i could just nano csserver (or whatever name one'd want) and enter the start-up command, and then just type ./csserver, and then the server would start up. Great! So I made one of these shortcuts, and it was working pretty good. Now, right after, i think I must have done something wrong, because now I get permission denied whenever i type the command! both when i try from root and my standard user (stamsund). I think I know whats wrong; I might have done a chown (I read something about changing permissions so I didnt have to log into root every time), and I might have done it wrong. How can I fix this? I then found out that I could make a new user, name it hlds, and then just use that one to run the HLDS, but I am pretty newbie in Linux, so I didnt figure out how to use it... I cannot find the user in the home folder, where the standard user (stamsund) is located, and i do not know how to log on to it. Can you help me? what I want, is to create a user called hlds, give it permission to run the server, and the shortcut and every shortcut related to the HLDS I'll ever make, and then find out how to log onto it. I have a feeling se hlds might have something to do with it, but I am not sure.

And one last question. When I ran the server from my crappy windows machine, running several instances of HLDS (multiple servers) were not a problem thanks to the GUI. Now, how can I run several instances of the server on Linux? I managed to do it by running ./hlds_run -game cstrike blablablabla many times in multiple terminals, but then, the all the servers run with the same name and configuration:/ I've read something about making several .cfg-files, and then running them with some parameter on the startup defining the different .cfg-files, but I need a good explanation on how to do this

Thank you!
    Lars Sørensen
Working...
X