This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless ALMOST working...help!

I needed help getting my wireless USB working on my desktop. A helpful reader suggested I follow the directions at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ealtekRTL8187b

Now my computer can see my wireless access point, but it gets stuck when I try to connect. When I click on connect in WICD, I see the following:

Clearing network connection...

Putting interface up...

and the WICD Interface Manager gets stuck there, and after awhile the program closes itself.

If I use Wireless Connection manager instead of WICD, it locks the computer up SOLID. All the lights on my keyboard start blinking. Any ideas?

Also I have to use a static IP address of 192.168.1.44. I set this in Network Settings. From Shell I can ping my own interface, but not the gateway 192.168.1.1. Also it keeps resetting the IP 192.168.1.44 back to 19.254.11.7. Very annoying.

Also, do I have to use "Windows Wireless Drivers" and add the Windows .inf file for my wireless card if I have followed the instructions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ealtekRTL8187b ? Or does this eliminate the need for "Windows Wireless Drivers".

Re: Wireless ALMOST working...help!

"Also I have to use a static IP address of 192.168.1.44. I set this in Network Settings. From Shell I can ping my own interface, but not the gateway 192.168.1.1. Also it keeps resetting the IP 192.168.1.44 back to 19.254.11.7. "

I'm guessing you need to set your static IP address in your router's, or modem's settings, in addition to the Network Setting on your PC. Set the static IP address in Kubuntu, then log into your router and change it's settings to give your PC the same static IP address. If they are configured to work together this way, that should do it.

Comment

Nope. That doesn't make sense.

Comment

On my Verizon router, model 327W, you must enable static IP addressing via the modems configuration page. If you don't do that, simply setting your PC to use a static address won't work. It may be different with whatever router you use.

Comment

Working...
        X