This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few basic ?'s

I just installed Kubuntu 5.10 ADM64 ver. on my desktop a little more than a week ago and I just figured out that I can install firefox through apt-get but I had to uncomment all the links from sources.list file. I did do a apt-get update first and Firefox installed fine. The questions I have, is there a way to change the icon in the menu? I already changed it after I added it to the panel.

Also, I tried to install thunderbird and synaptic package manager using apt-get and I got a message that it not available. Is there another link I need to add to the sources.list file?

One more thing I need to ask and this is embarrasing for me not to figure out but I noticed that after I installed Kubuntu there is only a speedcrunch calculator. How do I install or find just the regular calculator? I usually like to add that to the panel and see it in the menu. Any suggestions?

Re: A few basic ?'s

Hi,

For your sources.list, you should try this link :
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources
    About calculator, I don't know what you mean when speaking about speedcrunch, is it kcalc ?

Comment

Hello Debaser13!

There's KCalk by default in K-menu - accessories, please take a look closer!
      Speedcrunch is little bit "weard" calculator in my opinion, too.
      Somebody help me ye, somebody help me now, somebody help me when Im down...

Comment

weird, no Kcalc in my K menu, just crappy speedcrunch.
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I think kcalc has to be installed by hand, or , at least, I couldn't find it any of the larger KDE category packages. You can use "sudo apt-get install kcalc" or find it in the utilities section, (with priority optional).

What's the matter with speedcrunch? It's easier than kcalc for working with trig and especially transcendental functions, but my grandaughter can still use it to figure out 8 + 13 (she's a little unsteady on carrying).

Comment

Much thanks, I appreciate the responses. I was able to install kcalc, and synaptic package manager. There is nothing wrong with speedcrunch, I'm just not used to it and found it odd it wasn't there by default. One thing I noticed w/ firefox and Konqueror, the web pages load as they should (faster) w/ Konqueror and as opposed to firefox the web pages loads fast depending on the site. I thought I read somewhere that there was a way to spead up firefox. Does anybody know the link for that.

One last comment, I was going to ask Suomipoika if that was Kurt Cobaine pic. Much respect from a Pixies fan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              I think kcalc has to be installed by hand, or , at least, I couldn't find it any of the larger KDE category packages. You can use "sudo apt-get install kcalc" or find it in the utilities section, (with priority optional).

What's the matter with speedcrunch? It's easier than kcalc for working with trig and especially transcendental functions, but my grandaughter can still use it to figure out 8 + 13 (she's a little unsteady on carrying).
              Thank God I don't need to know trigenometry or transcendental functions yet That's a mouthful

And Debaser13: yes it is, you can have one too, just select it from the profile > forum profile information > personal picture. There's a tonne of choices.
              <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
              X