This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Monitor and General xorg.conf Problems

Ok, I am dabbling in linux for the first time and chose to get kubuntu. I've got everything working that I'd like, but I can't get my external monitor working. Firstly, I am on a Dell Latitude D620, with a Nvidia GeForce 7 series graphics card. My external Monitor is a Dell 1707 fpt. And I am running kubuntu version 8.04 (I am unsure of how to phrase that last part, but its ubuntu version 8.04 - hardy, but I installed it as kubuntu). I have looked extensively online at how to fix the problem, but can find no solutions that work. Most require that I get envyng, which I did, and edit the xorg.conf file to include
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    under the "screen " area. However, doing this last bit always causes x to fail to load, and I have to boot to recovery mode to restore the backup.

The monitor is plugged into the vga port on the back of the laptop, and nothing shows on the screen. At startup, there is an occasional flicker, but even that is rare. The last time I used this monitor, I had windows and it worked. Since then, my friend has been using it on his mac consistently up until I needed it again. So basically, either kubuntu is not accepting the monitor, or my vga port is fubar. Let's hope I can get some help!

Re: Dual Monitor and General xorg.conf Problems

Hi

The way I set mine up is to install envy-ng, you should be able to type sudo apt-get install envy-ng

It downloads the correct Nvidia drivers and utilities and seems to work better than the KDE display utility.

Also, each Ubuntu release gets a friendly name eg. 8.04 is called Hardy Heron. The K bit just means that it is running KDE whereas Ubuntu runs Gnome.

Comment

Working...
    X