X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless woes

I'm new to Kubuntu.

After installing, I don't really know what to do as far as wireless. I've been using Wireless Assistant (as root), and it wouldn't connect - to my secure network, or my neighbor's unsecure one. So, instead of auto DHCP, I set everything manually. Then it connected. At least it said it did, but I still can't access anything.

Any help? I don't really know where to start.

Re: Wireless woes

I'm not the wireless expert, but if you open the Konsole and issue
    Code:
    lspci
    the output will name the make and model of your wireless chip -- that's where we have to begin.

Comment

not sure what router you are using, I am using a Linksys and after setting the router to DHCP and changing the "Local IP Address" and clicking "Save Settings" I had to "renew" my pc's IP address... to do this open Konsole and type: sudo dhclient

if it looks like you are connected but are not able to access the web try doing that first.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

to get to Konsole click start->system->konsole
        Check out my website with Kubuntu how to&#39;s:&nbsp; madberry.org

Comment

oh yeah, guess I should have said that...nice catch. sometimes forget people don't have it on the Panel like I do.
          Thanks
          &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

"So, instead of auto DHCP, I set everything manually. Then it connected. At least it said it did, but I still can't access anything."

You might have inadvertently created an ad-hoc network. The icon would show a wireless network with the name you gave it, and say that you are connected to it, but there will be no internet. I got very confused when that I did it by mistake.
            I don't know anything about "Wireless Assistant", but I would try typing iwconfig -l in the terminal to make sure the wireless device is detected, then use the Kubuntu panel icon to edit the wireless connection settings.

Comment

Working...
            X