X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1TB disk with fsck errors

Hi,
    I installed the most recent version of 64 bit Kubuntu about a week ago on to a Samsung HD103UJ 1TB SATA drive. I took all the default options, ie guided partition - use entire disk, etc. The installation went fine and the reboot from disk went fine. I set up Samba for file sharing over my wifi network, copied my music and videos to the 1TB drive, and then tested the machine as a server for a few days. It worked perfectly: I was able to play music through my wifi PDA whilst watching a video on my laptop (this was only to stress test the setup, not because I'm some sort of multitasking expert).
    All was fine until I reached the 20th reboot, at which point fsck was run automatically. It died with error 4 and told me to run fsck manually. This found many errors, which could then be fixed or ignored by pressing y. After this I forced a recheck on the following boot by running "sudo touch /forcefsck", but this failed in the same way, and I then had to re-correct using the manual fsck.
    The eventual result of all this correction was that the available space on the disk according to Dolphin never subsequently changed, even when I deleted off about 500GB of data (all backed up elsewhere).
    I then suspected a damaged disk, but the Samsung ES-TOOL found no errors, which is apparently unusual.
    Just to be sure, I performed a low level format of the disk using ES-TOOL, and repeated the whole install and test process. The results was still the same, although the fsck failed at 35% instead of 27% the first time round.
    My motherboard is an Asus M2A-VM.
    I would be really grateful for any help that anyone can provide here.
    Thanks, Roger

Re: 1TB disk with fsck errors

Try the Gparted Live CD format the drive(again it won't hurt) then start the Kubuntu live CD en run fsck.

Let me know what this does.

[mad]Berry
    Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

Re: 1TB disk with fsck errors

Hi Madberry,
      Thanks very much for your reply.
      In the meantime I have returned the Samsung disk and replaced it with a Seagate 1TB unit. This works fine, with no fsck problems.
      If I subsequently get the same type of problem I will run your procedure.
      Kind regards,
      Roger

Comment

Working...
      X