X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter Passwords Possible? [Fixed see reply to Dibl]

Hi folks

My previous version was Fiesty and I just last night upgraded to 8.04. I still need to upgrade my Nvidia via Envy but that's coming.

I am having an issue with creating passwords for new users. The system is asking for users to re-create or change their password the first time they log in. It's a home machine and I just don't think that's necessary.

Also; 8.04 is requiring that a password be "so long" or it's "too simple". Where can I set these parameters?

Also; for one particular user I have set NO password when that user was created yet the login still demands a password.

Thanks!
    tje
    Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Re: Shorter Passwords Possible?

I think you can adjust the complexity in the file /etc/pam.d/common-password in the lines where it says "min= " or "minlen= ".

You might want to google that and see if the Ubuntu wiki or forum has more "how to" on the subject. I recently set up a home Kubuntu 8.04 system for my daughter's family, and I noticed that, whereas the installing user (aka Super User or "root") can get by with 4 characters, the rest of the users had to have 6. Odd -- I would have expected the opposite, if indeed a difference was justified at all.

Comment

Re: Shorter Passwords Possible?

Originally posted by dibl
      I think you can adjust the complexity in the file /etc/pam.d/common-password in the lines where it says "min= " or "minlen= ".(SNIP)
      Got it - the line string had a few "options" after "nullok". I pared that back a little and it works fine.

Thanks!
      tje
      Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Comment

Working...
      X