X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install True Crypt using the Konsole

Hello

I'm wanting to install TrueCrypt but its not in the adapt package manager, I have download the file from truecrypt (truecrypt-6.0a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz) an put it in the Home Folder. Can anyone guide me on as to how to install it from the konsole? I'm very new to Linux so I hope this will be easy.

Thanks Very Much For Any Help

Re: How to install True Crypt using the Konsole

Have a look at http://www.howtoforge.com/truecrypt-...on-ubuntu-7.10
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the help, But the instructions on that site didn't work for me, But thanks anyways.

Comment

Posting in "Help the New Guy" without specifying which version of Kubuntu you are running makes providing a meaningful answer difficult.

What version of Kubuntu are your running? If a version prior to 8.04 (Hardy Heron), have you unchecked the CDROM as a respository in Adept Manager? This is necessary if you are to have access to the over 22,000 packages that are available.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi

I'm running kubuntu 8.4 hardy. I checked adapt package manager an have nothing in the cd-rom checked.

Comment

In your home directory, create a folder (I called it TrueCrypt).
            Open Ark from the K Menu and click on Open and click on truecrypt-6.0a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz.
            Click on Extract and choose the TrueCrypt folder you created.
            Close Ark.
            From Konqueror (or Dolphin) navigate to the TrueCrypt folder.
            Click on the truecrypt-6.0a-setup-ubuntu-x86 file (it's an executable) to launch the installer. You have the option to Extract .deb Package File or to Install TrueCrypt

Comment

Thanks Snowhog

That worked for me very nice, I have truecrypt installed an am using it fine now.

Thanks Very much for the Help

Comment

Glad to have been of help. I'd be interested in your observations on using TrueCrypt in Linux.

Comment

The only problem i am having so far with true crypt is when i mount the volume i cant seam to find it, Where would it show up at? LoL , i have looked under (Computer) but don't see it listed there, I have used true crypt in windows for along time an the volume is always listed under (my computer). I do have another question tho about the kmenu shortcuts, Not all of my program shortcuts show up in the kmenu, even after i use the kmenuedit an save it, some still don't show up in the menu, Some aren't even showing up in kmenuedit, but they do run from the (run command) from the desktop. Is there anyway to get all the program shortcuts to show up in the kmenu? I'm using kubuntu hardy kde4

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

With KDE 4, you (often) need to restart KDE (ctrl+alt+bksp) to see menu changes you have made. From within kmenuedit, you are saving your changes before exiting?

Comment

yes when i use kmenuedit i always save before i exit it. Even when i installed true crypt it didnt put a short cut in the kmenu, even after reboot still no shortcut, I looked in kmenuedit an see nothing in there either for true crypt.. I have afew programs with no shortcuts anywhere. The only way i can use some of my programs is if i right click on the desktop an use the (run command).

Comment

Programs (packages) installed via Adept Manager or from the command line (console) with apt-get install (must be .deb packages) will (generally) install a menu item in K Menu - but not always. If a program doesn't appear in K Menu, you can always put it there manually.

Comment

I guess i will need to learn how to make shortcuts manually, It's getting hard to remember all the programs i have installed, good thing i wrote them all down on some paper. I have upgraded my laptop from dke4 to kde4.1, I will also upgrade my desktop pc today as well to the kde4.1 that might help this problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X