This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would like to replace my various windows OS with kubuntu ,,,

Think I found my answer under the codewever /crossover site. The answer was trying was not recommend. Consequetially i see no reson to put myself thru the pain of what i see younger and i am sure smarter than I experinece on this chat channek. Comquering ones' machine must be an enjoyable experience for some. Type in Tradestation or ensign under crossover site to verify.

Would like to replace my various windows OS with kubuntu ,,,but too old to start a new career as a programmer. Seems to me it would be best to hire/pay some one to set up my needs on a usb flash disk, or a esata disk . which i would be happy to provide or pay for.

Other than the normal stuff that comes with the standard kubuntu download I use one program, called ensign *www.ensignsoftware.net" ..

I can download kubuntu or ubuntu or devian and boot up . but have no clue how to install Ensign software.

Can you make a suggestion where to find someone to do this work.

I read that the Crossover program would provide a destop interface that i could get started with, but not sure i want to spend the time learning . It seems that I pay Bill Gates or a linux person.

thanks

Re: would like to replace my various windows OS with kubuntu ,,,

First... Welcome.
    I am not sure what programming you would need to do for Kubuntu, as all of the *Ubuntu desktop OS's are meant to be user friendly. But, if you just want to try it out and play with the Kubuntu OS you can download the "Live CD" version and just boot from the CD. This leaves your Windows OS intact while you decide if Linux is the way to go. If you decide you want to keep it then you can just install from the Live CD at any time.

I checked out the Ensign web page and it appears to be a Windows based program... which you might be able to use Wine (Windows on Linux) to run the software.

&quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

You could see if there is a Linux Users Group in your area - - That would be a good start. They may be able to help you with what you want to do.

As for your 'software' needs (which looks kinda interesting) it appears you might get away with an item/application called 'wine' , but from the looks of your application, not so sure it will work (Hence the suggestion of a Linux Users Group)

The only other option I can see at this point would be to run your application and a windows instance in a virtual machine - - and I'm not sure that would be of any benefit at this point.

Comment

Welcome to the party
        I agree with the above, you don't need to be a programmer to run kubuntu. In fact hardly anyone here is.

As for charting software there is this:
        http://eiffel-mas.sourceforge.net/

this:
        http://www.programurl.com/wall-street-analyzer.htm

and this:
        http://www.programurl.com/world-stock-charts.htm

for starters.

Google will throw up plenty more

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment