X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

favorite media player? also strange behaviour playing DVDs

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to be learning the ropes in Kubuntu (I started in Debian thinking cause I know 'old command line unix' it would be a snap. big mistake )

I have two questions. First I just would like to know what media players are chic and fun (well ok, i want more bulletproof than chic ). I'm using Kaffeine with Xine, right now and it's good, but it frames a bit and sometimes shows some noise in the video. It shouldn't on my quad core AMD Phenom 9500 4G RAM w/ a 512MB NVIDIA 8800 card and DVI connection. I have tried tweaking Xine, but i have only a basic idea of what i'm doing. Any suggestions?

Second Question. I have two SATA Liteon dual layer DVD burners. they are totally identical, but, for some reason, only cdrom0 will decrypt DVDs. I'd like to get both players online so I can wear 'em in equally.

Re: favorite media player? also strange behaviour playing DVDs

Try the KLC Player. (about 45% down the List......Multimedia.)

On install, the Kaffeine does not a 'libdvdcss'...included. (You get a 'Error 404......Page not found'...to boot.)

The http:// address is the correct one (http://videolan.org), but, even they suggest......using the KLC Player.
    Go figure.
    But, the KLC Player does work...for me.
    Once it is loaded, just click on"File"...............then, when it opens........click on "Disc".

Select "DVD" button.....................and away you go!

Comment

Vlc media player is a good alternative. You can download it in adept.

Comment

I've had very good luck with VLC player for my DVD's and pretty much any other video format, but in Linux and Window$. I like to use Amarok for my music though, just because I like the functionality and the appearance isn't too bad either.
        Compaq Presario c727us, 120GB  HDD, 2GB DDR2, 1.6GHz, fully working sound, wifi, proprietary buttons, and on board mouse with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 4.1

Comment

Got Kaffeine to work. properly.
          Did the strangest of things....tinkering with it.......I clicked the VCD button, in Kaffeine, after trying the 'apt-get install' routine........and, the CODECS (for VCD) were requested.
          So, I clicked....to let the CODECS install.
          Kaffeine still would not play the DVD...i am using as a 'test'.
          So, I rebooted my System...back into Kubuntu.
          Then, ran Kaffeine again.
          Whoopie!
          It damn well works.
          Maybe it was a combination of doing both of what I have described 'above'......but, who's complaining.....I have got Kaffeine...to work.
          (Like with a lot of Windows Programs, maybe what was really required....was for Kaffeine to be Restarted. With the VCD CODECS, of course.)
          I'm as happy as a pig in 'you-know-what'.

Comment

An Update.
            You can get "Kaffeine" to work properly. (None of that 'you can't use, because DVD is 'encrypted' nonsense'.)
            I did try the proper 'follow-through'....to get the 'codecs'..from the Web Address 'provided'.
            It showed up as "Error 404, Page could be found." (yeah, right.)
            With more research, I found this, to be.....the Web-site, for VideoLan.org.
            They suggested very strongly (not to bother downloading the codecs..for Kaffeine, but, instead use KLC Media Player.)
            KLC may be good, but, it is too bland looking.
            I perserved.
            By trial-n-error, as I am doing with Kubuntu, (or, as i say it.......tinkering/experimenting).....I regularly have installed/uninstalled Kubuntu...to learn 'how to' make a good installation.

I found this out...purely by accident.
            I clicked on VCD (within Kaffeine).....and, it prompted me ....to download the required 'codecs'.
            Did so.
            Having a DVD handy, I ran it.
            The DVD played, when I clicked on the "DVD" button.
            Nothing could be more simpler.
            AS for only one DVD being used (when you have two,and the other is also a 'burner', don't despair).....Kubuntu does 'see' only the one!....to play 'encrpyted DVDs'.
            (The other is a 'burner'. right? But, Kubuntu has not automatically mounted it. I have the same 'set-up'...with my computer. DVD Player/DVD Player+burner.)
            But, it will play those 'encrpyted' DVDs.... (if you do the 'above'.)

Comment

Working...
            X