This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing kubuntu inside windows.

I installed it to a seperate partition. when i boot my pc up it asks me if i want to install. then it says something about formatting. Will it format my windows installation?

Re: Installing kubuntu inside windows.

Well, that depends on which partition you format. You should really back up everything on your Windows system before proceeding.

If you're installing Kubuntu from a Live CD, then it will resize your Windows partition and create a new partition onto which you can install Kubuntu. You do need to format the new partition in that case. You must be very careful not to accidentally format your Windows partition.

After it works successfully, you will have a dual boot system and you can choose whether to go into Windows or Kubuntu when you startup. There is also a way to edit the boot menu to change the number of seconds it waits, and which operating system is the default.

Comment

In Windows, it's best to do (1) disk cleanup, and then (2) disk defrag before using the "shrink partition" thing. And do backup your data, just for safety.

Comment

Not if you have installed it 'within Windows'....and have correctly identified the Partition you want it in.
        And, more inportantly, that you DO have a fairly big Partition....to put Kubuntu onto......LIKE about 20 Gig +. (That's how big an installation 'grew'...for me, and I only had the OS on it, once ALL the 'updates' gets done.)
        (Formatting this partition as NTFS does help.....if you have to uninstall, later. 'Been there, done that'....many times. With success.)
        Get it wrong, like I did yesterday.........in my 'tinkering/experimenting'........I tried the 'Install, via BIOS ' method'.
        Must have done something wrong it did not work as it was supposed. So I uninstalled Kubuntu, left 'something' behind...in doing so .
        When I tried Rebooting........Grub started to load, then, gave me an 'Error 17'.
        Only way out of that, was..................to do a complete Format/Re-Install. (of Windows.)
        Luckily, for me, I do not have 'important info'........on my System. To make 'back-ups' of.
        3 hours later, my machine is back....good as gold, ready to go again.

Comment

Problem solved now. Thanks for help

Comment

Just a point to cookie77 and anyone else who has an issue concerning,,,

"I uninstalled Kubuntu, left 'something' behind...in doing so .
            When I tried Rebooting........Grub started to load, then, gave me an 'Error 17'.
            Only way out of that, was..................to do a complete Format/Re-Install. (of Windows.)"

You can avoid the complete re-install of windows by re-initializing the MBR (Master Boot Record) of your windows boot drive. I use a program which comes with Norton Ghost called gdisk but you should be able to do the same thing with fdisk. But to do this, you'll have to boot from a floppy/CD or something else other than the drive where grub was installed. This has always removed grub or whatever grub leaves there and returns my drive to the normal windows boot sequence.

Hope this saves you some trouble next time.

ohb1knewbie

Comment

the command is "fdisk /mbr"
              you can access it from the windoze repair console by booting from cd and choosing "repair" and then the console (not a repair disk)

Comment

Working...
              X