This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HD problem

Since this is a different hard drive, I assume it is in the system as /dev/sda (because that drive is "missing" from your /etc/fstab file).

So, once you have it re-partitioned and formatted ext3, you need to first confirm my theory by running
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    . You should find a /dev/sda1 that is formatted ext3.

So, you will then do two things:

1. Make a mount point
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/new_drive
    where "new_drive" is the name you want for it.

2. Edit /etc/fstab with kate or nano, for example Alt-F2 "kdesu kate /etc/fstab" and make your etc/fstab file look like this:
    file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sdb1
    UUID=43f3840c-2f59-4e5b-a75b-6fa4347c957b / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sdb5
    UUID=c3a14530-4d80-4f87-b481-49e2963107f7 none swap sw 0 0
    UUID=1a1ffa9b-a8f6-43e9-bb1f-fbc32934018b /media/new_drive ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    The bold line is the one you add, using the UUID number and mount point from your actual observation and new mount point.

Comment

Re: HD problem

Okay, now that's a way to make a dense tree like me understand what's got to be done to get the job done

I gather the UUID information is an unique "tag" or something assigned natively to ide/sata devices. If it's not, but is still something I can identify my HD with, it's good enough for me and is something I'll get after I type in the "sudo bikid" command.
      Only worry I have, is that I have one other drive formatted as ext3, that's my 80 GB home of kubuntu, but I should be able to recognize that drive by it's name "76G Media" (dolphin gave this name in "Properties for sdb1 - Dolphin" -window) though it's not a name I recall giving it myself, it seemed to come up naturally during the installation process (I would have called it 80GB -something myself).

Anyway, it's getting over 2am over here and I'm getting mighty sleepy so I won't be getting into this tonight, but will give it a go tomorrow.

Again, thanks a lot for your help

Comment

Working...
      X