X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Stick

Hi
    I would like to take kubuntu with me to use on my laptop, which has Windows XP professional pre-loaded, and I don't really want to dual boot from the laptop hard drive. Would it be possible to boot from a 4GB USB pen, as I have read that Hardy Heron is about 3GB, if not I will have to think again.

Re: USB Stick

yes, you should be able to with the Kubuntu 'live cd' version then change the boot sequence to boot from the usb device first in your bios on your laptop.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Yes, you can boot Kubuntu from USB flash drive.

This guide is very useful -

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...e-cd/#more-399

Comment

Thanks Guys,

The link seems to cover it all, just one problem, having looked at the BIOS settings on my laptop, it does not seem to give me an option to boot from USB--any ideas?

Comment

click to highlight the first boot device, then do [Shift +] it will probably be listed as "Removable"
          make the sequence something like
          1) Removable
          2) Hard Disk
          3)CD/DVD
          etc.

you can put them in whatever order, but make sure you have your hard disk as either #2 or #3 so that way it does not boot into Windows first.
          &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Qqmike's > How To: Make GRUB Thumb Drive
            If your BIOS does not support booting from USB, see this:
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB
            >> BootFromUSB
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

. . . and

Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089474.new#new
              Step-by-step
              -- with Persistence -- using GRUB all the way (i.e., no Syslinux): Reply #7
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
              X