This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much RAM

Hi, I have an old computer with 192MB of RAM on it. is there any version of Kubuntu I could run on it. If you need any other specs just ask me. 8)

Re: How much RAM

You might be better with Xubuntu instead of Kubuntu.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Or Slax.

I think 192MB is below the minimum spec for any flavor of *buntu.

Comment

"Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu#Requirements
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

You might have more joy with DSL (Damn Small Linux) or it's slightly larger cousin Not.

DSL is a very capable distro. DSL uses a 2.4 kernel while Not uses a 2.6. Both have fairly light requirements. I run DSL on a really old IBM laptop - TP365XP (P120/72MB/3.2GB) - and it works well except for wifi (because finding a wireless PC CARD that works with WPA2 is tough/impossible).
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

you can also try the TinyMe distro. It is a smaller version of the PCLOS.
            http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dis...h=all&year=all
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
              Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM
              Yeah, OK, point taken.

Kinda like, "With a sharp pocketknife, it is possible to carve an oak tree stump into a statue of Benjamin Franklin." You just wouldn't really want to be the one that has to watch patiently while the carving job goes on and on and on .... :P

Comment

Working...
              X