This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volume trouble

Hi, I'm new to Kubuntu and to Linux as such. Managed to install the software, but I'm getting no audio. Already tried changing settings in the mixer and master channels - nothing. Any hints? Thanks!

Re: volume trouble

since it is not too clear on what the exact problem is, I would first say to check to see if your sound card is recognized and active by going to >Kmenu >System Settings >Sounds

open Kmix and check the settings under >Kmix >Settings >Configure Kmix
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

i opened Configure Kmix - everything is ticked and volume values are set to absolute. that's all i can see there. i noticed that if i plug in headphones i can hear sounds (music played from a cd for instance) as if in a distance, hardly audible, but the sound is there. but that's only with headphones, the laptop speaker is numb.

Comment

Here's what the kmix settings look like here, for KDE 3.5.9:

[img width=400 height=198]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4053/kmix1ld2.png[/img]

[img width=400 height=198]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1258/kmix2fm0.png[/img]

[img width=400 height=198]http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8383/kmix3gc6.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mack27
          i opened Configure Kmix - everything is ticked and volume values are set to absolute. that's all i can see there. i noticed that if i plug in headphones i can hear sounds (music played from a cd for instance) as if in a distance, hardly audible, but the sound is there. but that's only with headphones, the laptop speaker is numb.
          if you don't have speakers plugged in, set your output to pc speakers.
          &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

oh, sorry - i need kde 4.1. the bars you gave dont correspond. do you have the settings for this version?

Comment

if you have the Kmix system tray icon, right click on it and check what you have the master channel set to.
              try setting it to PCM or Master.

Comment

already tried each of the possibilities - no result

Comment

What Sound is your computer using?
                  Realtek?
                  Another brand (unknown)?
                  (With these, you will have problems...with Sound.)

Or, Creative?
                  (Creative does support...all Linux OS'. Only one that does.)

Comment

Working...
                  X