X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu...couple of questions

I just switched from PCLINUXOS to Kubuntu and a few questions:

The volume is not being controlled with Kmix, I slide the volume bar up and down, but nothing happens. I do have volume....

All icons need one click to open, I would like to change this to 2.

I like all windows to have the address bar, a quick look and I did not see how to get it on.

I use virtualbox and installed the one in the repositories (is this the one that will work with usb and such?) Anyway, I told it where my .vdi is, but it does not list the machine in the available machines to start. Any ideas?

Do I need to start a firewall, or is it all good at default install?
    Thanks so much!

Re: New to Kubuntu...couple of questions

Originally posted by nixie21

The volume is not being controlled with Kmix, I slide the volume bar up and down, but nothing happens. I do have volume....
    Right click on the icon, and Select Master Channel. Probably should be set to PCM or Master. Play with that setting and see if that solves the problem. Check Show Mixer Window and make sure all of the output switches are set to max,
    All icons need one click to open, I would like to change this to 2.
    System Stettings, Keyboard and Mouse, Mouse, Double click to open files.

I like all windows to have the address bar, a quick look and I did not see
    how to get it on.
    Not sure what you mean by "Address Bar".
    Do I need to start a firewall, or is it all good at default install?
    You have a firewall, Kubuntu uses iptables for this. If you wish you can install a firewall management program such as Firestarter, but it is not required. It does make opening ports that you may need for some programs easier.

Comment

Concerning the volume, if the suggestion from detonate didn't work, try it from the console. Type:

alsamixer

That gives you another volume controle. Under the sliders, you see a "M" en "OO". Toggle it by pressing M or O, and then try again.

Comment

Thanks, will try all when I get home....

No one knows about virtualbox?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to playing with this distro.

Comment

Ok, I tried everthing but still no good....the sound if perfect and I can change the volume with my speaker volume, but I would really like kmix to control the volume. If kmix is not, then what is?

Comment

I'm a little confused.... what sounds are you trying to listen to? ie: mp3 or system sounds?
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Sounds in general. Take mp3's for instance.... Iit plays with no problems, but I want kmix to control the sound as it did in pclos.

I guess I am wording it wrong? I have no sound problems as I have sound, but Kmix is not controling the sound as I am used to...?

Thanks

Comment

if you have the Kmix tray icon, right click on it and click "Select Master Channel" then select PCM from that list.
                That is how I have mine and I can control the volume through Kmix that way.
                &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

I do not have PCM as an option? It is set to line in...

Comment

open up Kmix and tell me what volume sliders you have. (my master volume has a pic of sound waves next to it)

Comment

Change the Master channel to Master or PCM. Do I hear an echo in here?

Comment

This is what I got

Where is PCM or Master?
                        Attached Files

Comment

ok, from looking at what you have I would say that your 'master' would probably be the "IEC958 Unknown"
                          but, I would turn the Line In all the way up, and the IEC958 channels up. Then right click on the tray icon and set the IEC958 Unknown as the 'master channel'.
                          The only concern I would have is that it says "unknown". It may not be recognizing exactly what sound card you are using.
                          which would just mean it is probably using a generic driver, but it should still work.

Comment

Thanks for all the help...it turns out that it is analog front...funny that it was line in on pclos...anyway it works!

All problems solved!!!

Thanks again for sticking with me!

One more question..

I remeber a image resizer that you just right click a picture and could resize it, nice and easy...I thought it was called KIM, but it is not in the repositories...does anyone know what I am talking about

Comment

Glad you got that solved.

as for the image resizing, I am not sure... I use Gwenview for image viewing and resizing and Gimp for editing.

Comment

Working...
                              X