This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUBUNTU within Windows not working

Hi everyone. Thanks for reading and sharing your ideas.

Being totally newbie I have installed KUBUNTU from within windows in a second HDD. I did not prepare any partitions, but indicated 10Gb for the Kubuntu installation. I thought that after finishing I would get a dual boot menu, but XP started as usual. I found Kubuntu folders and some uninstaller (which doesn't work BTW). KUBUNTU never started and I don't know how to open it. I am also unable to uninstall it.

Question 1. - How do I start KUBUNTU from within this Window-on-2ndHDD installation?

Qestion 2. - If it got faulty or corrupted, how do I get rid of it to install it from without windows. I need to have a dual boot as to make a smooth transition.

Question 3. - I also installed PCLinuz in my laptop, but OS desn't recognize the display UXVGA resolution and keeps me in a pixelated world on 800x600 screen.

You can send separate replies to each of the questions (perhaps three members choose to reply to single questions), or any of the senior members knows the answers to all three.

Thanks and please notify me of any replies and/or messages to odlanierzenitram at yahoo dot com.

Odlanier
    DELL Inspiron 1721
    AMD Athlon 64 x2
    XP NL Professional (after getting rid of invassive VISTA)
    2Gb RAM
    ATI Radeon 1270, 256Mb
    HDD 160Gb

Re: KUBUNTU within Windows not working

I'll assume that you installed Kubuntu using the Wubi Installer. If not, please tell us how you did the install "within windows."

Wubi F.A.Q.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: KUBUNTU within Windows not working

Let me answer Question No.2 first.
      With a question of my own.
      Did you watch, as the Dual-Boot 'set-up' go through it's paces?
      If 'Yes'...you saw the LINE...."Use 'ESC', to Enter Menu."
      Okay, another question for you.......
      "Did you use this Menu?"
      Obviously not.
      In 'dual-booting' my System (with XP Pro/Kubuntu or Ubuntu...as I am experimenting with both)....I came across the 'wait-time'....for Linux to load.
      Then, nothing, too.
      Trouble is....that I had to use this Menu, several times ....to discover the ONLY option available for me to use...........which was the one with "(if you are having APCI problems.)"
      There is also one , for "(if you're having graphics problems.)"

I would suggest that you run the Dual-Boot...until you figure out 'which' one works for you.

(By double-checking my Motherboard's BIOS.....I also discovered the 'why'.......behind my having to use the (If you're haing APCI problems) option.
      The APCI option....in BIOS....is 'greyed-out'....as "Enabled".

PLEAS, check yours out. It may be the same problem. If it is, you now know 'How-to'....to kick-start your Linux OS. (And, you ONLY have to do it the one time.)

Okay now, your Question No.1, you 'installed within Windows'. (But, you can't Un-install it. Yeah, right.)
      That's exactly 'how' I install mine.
      And, I am just as successful....in Un-installing it, too.
      (Because, on my 2nd hard-drive, I formatted it, as a 'Active Partition'...via XP's Disk Management program.....before installing Kubuntu, via the "Install within Windows" option.)

I, also, chose......NTFS....as the File System...when I installed Linux.
      Why?
      I am coming to that.

To "Un-install"....all I have to do, is, simply...........go to "Add and Remove" program, in XP.
      And, Remove (whatever) distro I am using.
      For a thorough 'clean-up'........I, then, check out my 2nd hard-drive.
      To send the "Ubuntu Back-up" folder.....to the Rubbish-bin. (And, Delete it.)

My XP OS has not suffered...at all...throughout all this.
      And, I have almost lost count of how many times I've installed/un-install Unbuntu/Kubuntu..on my System.

For Question No.3....why did you chose another Linux OS....for your laptop?

If the PClinux OS does NOT recognise the UXVGA display resolution, UbuntKubuntu surely should.

(IF your laptop is a 'fully dedicated' Linux OS)...........try installing Ubuntu...on it. In the usual Linux 'method' .............booting up off the CD, via the BOOT Sequence....of your laptop's BIOS.

A word of CAUTION, here!
      Linux has a 'problem'....with ATI, and REALTEK Sound!
      (Your lap-top has both, right?)

I run a AMD Athlon 64 X2 60000+ (3.0Ghz CPU)........on a ASUS motherboard (w/ On-board Realtek Sound, and on-board ATI grahpics. Or,should say, I used to.0

Now, I use nVidia graphics-card (add-in)....and, Creative Labs "Audigy" (also, add-in card).
      These are fully 'supported'....by the 'respective' companies.
      For Linux OSs.
      They certainly do NOT give me any trouble...at all.

Comment

Working...
      X