This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Wireless Problem Thread

Hi guys. I have done a number of searches and have found alot of threads discussing and solving problems that people are having with wireless and Kubuntu. Some did seem very useful but none really dealt with the problem I seem to be having allthough it is kind of similar.

I am a relatively new Kubuntu user. I am using Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy on a newly purchased Dell Inspiron 1720. Installed the OS, loaded it up, installed updates from Adept using a wired connection. When the OS loaded back up, I accessed the Knetworkmanager which showed all of the SSIDs within range, this was including my own wireless network with a perfect signal. I thought "PERFECT". I then tried to connect to my wireless network using my WPA key, it gets to 28% "configuring device" and there are no problems there. It then moves onto 57% "IP Configuration Started" and this is where it fails. It will sit at this point for a minute or so and then come up with a message saying "Connection Failure. Could Not Connect To The Network".

When I highlight my wireless connection in the list, it brings up a dialog box and at the top it states "Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g".

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue?

I am just now going to try disabling security on my wireless and see if I can then connect and I'll try some other little tweaks as I find them. But, if anyone can provide any help or any things I should try out that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance for any help guys. 8)

Re: Another Wireless Problem Thread

As mentioned in several of those threads on wireless, many of us have not had good results with Knetworkmanager and wireless. First, I would suggest you remove knetworkmanager and install wlanassistant or wicd . Then edit your /etc/network/interfaces file and remove or comment out everything except:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

Then restart networking and try one of the above programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
      As mentioned in several of those threads on wireless, many of us have not had good results with Knetworkmanager and wireless. First, I would suggest you remove knetworkmanager and install wlanassistant or wicd . Then edit your /etc/network/interfaces file and remove or comment out everything except:

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback
      address 127.0.0.1
      netmask 255.0.0.0

Then restart networking and try one of the above programs.
      Thanks for your reply.

I successfully connected when I de-acivated all security on my wireless connection and left it completely unprotected. When I activate WPA and WEP it fails, allthough with WEP, it jumps to 70 something % before failing rather than 57%.

Strange one indeed.

I will try what you have suggested but possibly might need more instructions on how exactly to do it because I am still really in the learning stages with Linux.

I have to shoot off for now but will update this when I am back home working on this Thanks again.

Comment

If yoou want to use wpa, you will also have to install wpasupplicant if you have not already done so.

Wlanassistant is in the repositories, wicd is not to get it go to:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Comment

OK, an update.

I have done what you suggested and have installed WICD.

I can connect with a wired connection no problems. I can connect wirelessly when there is no security on my router. However, when any form of security is enabled on my wireless at all, I cannot connect. I have tried WPA 1/2, WPA 2 and WEP all with no luck at all.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what I can try next?

I searched wpasupplicant in adept and it says it is installed.

Any help is appreciated as always. Thanks.

Comment

Make sure you are on the same channel as your router. If you have the router set to "4' and the computer settings are trying to use the passkey for "1" it won't work. I can't think what else could be preventing you from connecting. we know your device is working since it will connect without security, so it is just a matter of getting the security settings right. I remember one time I had a hard time connecting until I restarted my router.

Comment

OK, I will give this a try when I get home from work. Allthough I am sure my router is set to "auto" for which channel it uses but it may be worth setting it to a specific channel then doing the same in WICD.

I thought about restarting my router, but every time I change the security on the router it restarts automatically anyway so I don't think it would work.

But this does give me some more things to try tonight in order to get it working. Thanks for all the help so far. 8)

Comment

OK, I tried setting a specific channel and that didn't work. I then tried using MAC address filtering and setting it to allow the MAC for my laptops wireless device and this didn't work either.

I am really really stuck with this one and it is starting to get annoying now haha.

Comment

What router do you have?

Comment

My router is a Belkin F5D7632-4.

I just tried checking to see if there was a firmware upgrade but it says there isn't.

Comment

I did a quick google to try to find and online manual for that router, but was unsuccessful. I did see a lot of people are having problems with that particular router. But before we blame the router, have you successfully used your wireless to connect to this router in windows with WEP or WPA?

And would you please post the contents of you /etc/network/interfaces file?

Comment

Yes, I used to have another laptop with XP, I used WPA and connected to the wireless for hours everyday and no problems. This laptop also came pre-loaded with Vista which connected to the wireless without any problems.

Here is the content of the interfaces file -

auto lo
                        iface lo inet loopback
                        address 127.0.0.1
                        netmask 255.0.0.0

Comment

OK, I'm hoping someone else jumps in here, because I'm out of ideas.

Comment

Thank you for all of your help with this. It is still much appreciated

If anyone else does have any ideas though, then I am all ears.

Not broadcasting the SSID and setting it to no security seems like the only option here, I don't want to do that but it may be the only resolution for this

Comment

Working...
                            X