X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless internet

Can any one help in setting up a Sierra AC880U USB wireless internet device
    The device connects to The TELSTRA 3G network under Windows XP but I cannot seem to get it to work under Kubuntu

Re: Wireless internet

Welcome to the forum, and Kubuntu. Wireless connection problems have been discussed many times here, try doing a search for "wireless connection" using the search feature and you will get many threads. If you don't find the solution to your problem there, then post back and try to give us a little more information. Is your wireless device being recognized, but you are having a problem getting connected? Or is you device not being recognized at all?

Comment

Turbo, did you post this request, via XP, or Kubuntu?
      If by Kubuntu. your wireless 'set-up' is working.
      The fact that you say ...you are using Telstra (so am I, but, with ADLS 2+), are you trying to use the 'defaults'(Konqueror/Kontact)?
      To set up your Internet connection?
      I did, and, switched...to FireFox/Thunderbird.
      (The 'set-up process' is very similar to what you had to use for XP.)
      Play around with it.
      See what works, or not.
      (Once you have had a good read, to understand what's going on.)
      If you think you have got it Right...send yourself an e-mail. (To test your connection out.)
      If it does work, you will get your 'test e-mail' back. (To confirm...your E-mail is working.)
      If not, REDO your 'set-up' again..(and, again..if necessary...until it DOES work.)
      (That's how I figured mine out....and, I've only been using Kubuntu/Ubuntu...for about a month........'tinkering'/experimenting'....to learn 'How' things work with Linux.)

My ADSL modem was working.........from the moment Kubuntu started working for me. To provide me with the 'Updates'. (proof that it was indeed already 'connected'.)
      I am assuming your installation of Kubuntu worked the same way.
      Telstra DOES NOT support Linux (in any form, by the way), but, using common sense/FireFox and Thunderbird, it is possible to 'connect' using it's gear (Dial-up/ADSL/Cable/Wireless).

Comment

The wireless internet I am trying to set up is a Mobile USB internet dongle connected to the Telstra 3G network.
        Thanks for the answers, but all other internet connections are working just fine.Including my Dlink GWL-D630 wireless card.
        The dongle is not recognized by Kubuntu.
        I have tried to install the software using Wine with no luck.

Comment

I remember seeing some posts over on the Ubuntu forum about getting the Verizon dongle working. Could be some help. Might want to take a look over there.

http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

Comment

Working...
          X