This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking problems...

Im running Kubuntu 8,4 KDE 4.1 on a dual boot with windows XP home edition.
    I'll post the specs if needed.
    I cant seem to connect to the internet... I have a wired Cable DSL connection and we have a Wireless Dlink router with a password...
    When I select to activate the wired connection, it loads, freezes at 57%*every time*, then jumps to 100% and then says I'm connected. So I go into the web browser and it says cant connect...
    And when I try to get the wireless, it shows no networks, even though the event thingy *scuse my not techincal vocabulary* and it shows it finding a network... So why cant I connect?

Re: Networking problems...

Open a console. What's the output of:
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    and
    Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Im completly new to this.. ive read about sudo... how do i get into sudo o-o? or do I need to be in sudoz
      Edit: nvr mind i got into sudo but that command doenst seem to work.....

Comment

You don't need to be/use sudo. If you don't know how to get to a console, press Alt+F2 and type konsole
        In the console type:
        Code:
        cat /etc/network/interfaces
        and
        Code:
        lspci | grep Ethernet

Comment

ok um for the first one I got this
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback

and the second one... i was able to just use lspci and get my specs... if it was supposed to get my network card then....
          02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTl-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

there was also a network controller so ill put that up

02:03:0 Network Controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI adapter (rev 01)

Comment

For 'information' the second command: lspci | grep ethernet contains a "pipe" (the | symbol). This is the symbol on the \ key that you get when pressing shift+\.

Do you have the Networkmanager icon in the system tray? It's the item I've circled in red in the following snapshot.
            Attached Files

Comment

yes I have that icon in the system tray...
              and i got that command to work and what I posted before for ethernet controller is correct

Comment

Is your DSL modem connected directly to your PC or to the router?.

Comment

router... why o-o?

Comment

If your wireless router has cable connection capability also, then setting up it up so that it manages the connection to your ISP (through the modem) makes things a lot simpler. Linux understands routers, while it doesn't always understand/work well with modems.

Comment

I cant, since the modem only supports one plug and the cable currently plugged in is the wireless router and is supplying internet to the rest of the family
                      Edit: Im accessing this forum on Ubuntu 8.4 which is connected through he router

Comment

Good enough. So a "pure" wireless router that your DSL modem is connected to. So you have been attempting to use your wireless connection from your PC. Do you know of your router is using WEP or WPA encryption?

Comment

i dont know, but i know the password is 9 characters long
                          edit: the thing is it doesnt even show up on the wireless networks thingy on either trusted or not trusted

Comment

Originally posted by greble
                            edit: the thing is it doesnt even show up on the wireless networks thingy on either trusted or not trusted
                            That's a problem. That could be an issue with your Atheros Network controller. Atheros (generally) works very well with Linux - mine does - but not all of them. Take a look through this How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems

Comment

o-o i dont get it.... its slightly hard to understand... =_="
                              pluss i cant use the sc since i installed using Wubi.... but i ordered the CD
                              so it should get here
                              Oh and the Ubuntu is directly connected with a cable.... just to tell you

Comment

Working...
                              X