This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba

I have got a copy of a set of instructions on how to install and configure Samba on my machine, the title is Samba Install on Kubuntu 7.04(Feisty Fawn), I have tried to follow the instructions for configuration, as Samba is already loaded with the package.
    So far I have managed to set up in Kuser identities for the two other potential users of the server which are both Windows XP, and logged on as those users, which according to the instructions 'sets' up the identities on the host server, but the next phase of setting these identities in Samba just will not work, the script I type into Konsole is just not recognised. I have not been able to even stop Samba with the instruction given sudo/etc/init.d/samba stop, the message I keep getting is no such file or directory.
    Could it be that these commands are not suitable with the Hardy Heron version of Kubuntu?

Re: Samba

Originally posted by wiradog
    I have got a copy of a set of instructions on how to install and configure Samba on my machine, the title is Samba Install on Kubuntu 7.04(Feisty Fawn), I have tried to follow the instructions for configuration, as Samba is already loaded with the package.
    So far I have managed to set up in Kuser identities for the two other potential users of the server which are both Windows XP, and logged on as those users, which according to the instructions 'sets' up the identities on the host server, but the next phase of setting these identities in Samba just will not work, the script I type into Konsole is just not recognised. I have not been able to even stop Samba with the instruction given sudo/etc/init.d/samba stop, the message I keep getting is no such file or directory.
    Could it be that these commands are not suitable with the Hardy Heron version of Kubuntu?
    For Hardy Heron the samba network is (almost) configured for windows access, and I see no reason for .

What you may have to do is Feisty Fawn not to do the same.

What you may have to do is open smb.conf and check the work group name.
    It is also good to see to that the shared folder (here called just shared) look something like this:

Code:
    [SHARED]
    path = /home/myself/shared
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    force user=myself
    There used to be one bad line sneaking in here (don't remember quite how it was) - so if you have something different, try comment it out.

This should, after restart of Samba (or the PC), make you look at the files both ways. You may find that write access is a little restricted one way, due to bad handeling of the passwords. I don't have the details just now, as the PC where everything was working is just now back after a bad update.

Comment

Re: Samba

Samba-3 by Example
      Written by the experts - those who wrote and maintain SAMBA.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X