X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing Stuff on Linux

Originally posted by Fintan
    Most of us were in the same boat at one time or another.
    And most of us, even those of us who have been at it for a while, are still in that boat. With time of use, one acquires:
    1) experience
    2) understanding (the depth of which varies from user to user)
    3) familiarity (which is not necessarily the same as understanding)
    4) comfort (the feeling of 'ease' one gets with the other three)

Many who decide to make the move from Windoze to Linux, even if it is just to "take if for a spin around the block" are initially frustrated. The mindset is "Windoze is an OS; Linux is an OS. Linux 'looks' like Windoze, so it must be just as easy to run as Windoze." Again, if one thinks of Windoze and Linux as a vehicle, then it is true that both look a like from a cursory examination - from the outside. Both have four wheels. Both have doors. Both run on the same fuel. Both have an engine and drive train. But that's where the similarity stops. It's the engine and the accessories attached to it that differ.

The movie U-571 is a great example of the analogy I've expressed. U.S. submariners had to capture an Enigma code machine from the Germans during WWII. Things went bad, and they had to operate the German submarine. But everything was in German, and not everything was in the expected place. They had to 'relearn' how to operate something they were already proficient with!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Both have four wheels. Both have doors. Both run on the same fuel. Both have an engine and drive train. But that's where the similarity stops.
      Yeah, windows is defunct 3 speed automatic with no reverse gear.

Linux is a 6 speed manual with an overdrive in every gear
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
        Yeah, windows is defunct 3 speed automatic with no reverse gear.
        Yugo (3 Cylinders)!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          Yugo (3 Cylinders)!!
          With a leaking head gasket and running on only two cylinders!
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Originally posted by MoonRise
            Yugo (3 Cylinders)!!
            With a leaking head gasket and running on only two cylinders!

Comment

I have been with Kubuntu for some months now, and I am still uncertain as to how to install tarballs. Luckily, there is very little I actually need it for. Most of what I wanted for my system is in the repos. It took me several days to realise the importance of using the konsole, but once that is clear, most of everything basic can be achieved by cut and paste. Adding the medibuntu repositories e.g. The add/remove packages function is very useful in the beginning, and the problem for me lay not so much in installing packages, as it did in limiting how much I installed.
              By registering an posting on the kubuntu forums you are already on the right path. What you need to do is lay back, relax, and let the tarballs wait. I might try compiling from source one day, but that is a long time coming. There is more in the repos than I will ever need. Much, much more.
              So just be patient, and take the time to locate the information you need. The people on this forum are a cornucopia of helpfullness, as long as you take the time to formulate an exact problem.
              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X