This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Won't Install

I've got an LG R405 Laptop with a Core 2 Duo and an ATI Graphics card.
    When I try to install Kubuntu I start getting errors like this:

[225.417047] usb 6-4: device descriptior read/64, error -110
    [236.058568] usb 6-4: device not accepting address 2, error -110
    [246.600237] scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
    [318.328421] usb 6-4: device not accepting address 7, error -110
    [328.866002] usb 6-4: device not accepting address 8, error -110

etc, etc,....

I get about a hundred of these error messages and then at some point it just hangs on one of them and wont do anything for hours.
    Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Re: Kubuntu Won't Install

The first thing to suspect is the CD itself. Are you able to run it at all, i.e., take the test drive with it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It starts running Kubuntu. I get the Kubuntu screen with a status bar then it starts checking a bunch of things and says "[OK]" after all of them then it says:
      "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]"
      Then I start getting the errors
      I don't know what you mean "take the test drive with it"?

Comment

What I meant, was are you able to actually test out the LiveCD by getting it to load to the desktop. Your answer is 'no,' that you are getting all these errors before that occurs.

That makes it likely that the burn of the LiveCD wasn't without errors, assuming that you did burn the LiveCD yourself. If that is the case, then the suggested course of action is to burn another, and ensure that it burns correctly, without any reported errors. Before that however, one wants to ensure that the downloaded .iso file is also without errors. That means comparing the computed md5 of the downloaded file against the published md5 checksum value. If your .iso files md5 isn't correct, you are going to have problems even if the burn to CD goes without errors.

Comment

Okay I re-downloaded Kubuntu and followed the instruction on the website to verify that the download was okay. Then I burnt it to a disk and verified that the disk contained the files that I downloaded. So the disk is okay.

I try to install Kubuntu and I don't even get to the error messages now.
          It says:

Starting K Display Manager: kdm
          *Starting deferred execution scheduler atd [OK]
          *Starting periodic command scheduler crond [OK]
          *Checking battery state... [OK]
          *Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]
          _

and then it frezes here and does nothing?

Comment

We'll assume a good download and a good burn to CD. That now leaves the (strong) possibility that your ATI graphics card is creating conflicts during booting. Reboot with the LiveCD and look at the options listed below. Choose the one that allows booting using Safe Graphics (VESA) and see if you get further along. If the problem is your ATI card, but VESA graphics allows you to actually install, then getting your ATI card set up can be done afterwards.

Comment

Okay I just tried the safe graphics option but it did the exact same thing.
              Other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggles

Then I burnt it to a disk and verified that the disk contained the files that I downloaded.
                Hmmmmmmmmmm.

You know, the ISO image of the Kubuntu installation CD that you are supposed to download does not show "files", and you should not be able to view them without a special application for that purpose. Did you use "burn as ISO image" when you made that CD?

Comment

Yes. The disk is fine. I've burnt two of them just to make sure.

Comment

Is your PC a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU? If it's a 32-bit and you downloaded the 64-bit .iso instead ....

Comment

I have a 64bit Intel Core 2 Duo and I downloaded the 64bit Kubuntu.

Comment

Just to verify, was the .iso you downloaded the LiveCD version or the Alternate CD? The difference is that the Alternate CD only permits actual installation (IIRC), while the LiveCD permits you to actually run Kubuntu from the CD (test before install). If you have the Alternate CD, and your PC has Windoze Vista as the OEM OS, you are not going to be able to install Kubuntu until Vista is 'prepared' for the installation.

Comment

I do have the live cd version and I do have windows vista but I have not tried to run it from the disk without installing.
                          When I do this I get a command prompt:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$:

I don't know any linux commands so I don't know how to use it.

I tried to install Kubuntu from inside windows using the disk but when I restarted I got the problem with all the errors I was talking about.
                          Then I tried to boot from the disk but the same problems ether way.

How can I "prepare" vista for the install?

Comment

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

Comment

Thanks but that's not really much help. I already have unpartitioned space ready for the install and I don't get to see any of those fancy GUI menus I see in the Ubuntu install. All I get are error messages with Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X