This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help out a former GNOME user?

Yup, KDE won me over and I abandoned GNOME!

But since I was still a noob when I left GNOME, I'm even more of a noob in KDE. So I have a few questions about doing stuff in Kubuntu. This is the stuff I have done: used Envy to install nvidia drivers. Installed and used wine. Changed the panel bar to my liking (almost).

1. compizconfig-settings-manager? I installed it after Compiz-Fusion and could see all the options, but when I tried to enable "Rotate Cube" and "Desktop Cube." It had my checkmarks and settings saved, but no effects occurred. I couldn't even add additional desktops. I had to go into "System Settings" to do that. Am I downloading the wrong compositing manager? How to I enable effects.

2. I set the panel bar to 100% transparency. The bottom of my background is black, so I'd prefer all the text to be white. Making the time white was easy, and inactive windows are gray by default. How do I make active taskbar items appear in white (just the font)?

3. I have an Logitech LX5 with tilt wheel. I used the left tilt it worked for the first time in linux! Using the tilt wheel alone was enough to convert me to KDE (I rewind/fast forward constantly when I browse). How do I configure the entire mouse? The forward tilt doesn't work. For those of you who think I'm talking about scrolling, I'm not. Tilt wheels scroll, but also have horizontal movement.

4. What is a good (if there is more than one) window manager in KDE? How do I install and tweak different themes? How do I install different cursors? Do you know of a cursor that is identical to the default cursor, but translucent?

I'd appreciate any help. Answer one, answer all, perhaps even point me in a direction for me to find it out on my own. I moved to KDE because I read that it has everything I want, but it's a little harder to get there. Ubuntu had some of what I wanted, and it was really easy to get it, but the rest was completely omitted.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

Re: Help out a former GNOME user?

Welcome!

How to set up Compiz Fusion - Feisty
    or
    How to set up Compiz Fusion 0.7.4 - Gutsy

Easy to follow.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Cool. Now I've got a new problem.

Everytime I turn off the computer, I'm prompted for my password in order to dismount something or another. Logging off, then hitting shutdown solves the problem, but that's a little annoying. When I try to boot up Kubuntu after shutting down in the former manner, it goes black. It doesn't do anything after the splash screen.

What do I need to do in order for me to shut down regularly again?

More info: GRUB is on MBR; Vista is dual-booting.

Comment

How do I make active taskbar items appear in white (just the font)?
        rightclick on the left side of the taskbar. Ascreen will pop up. now you choose configure taskbar (or something, mine is n german) you can set the font and background colors for active / non-active windows.
        What is a good (if there is more than one) window manager in KDE? How do I install and tweak different themes? How do I install different cursors? Do you know of a cursor that is identical to the default cursor, but translucent?
        Troll through kde-look.org:
        http://www.kde-look.org/

for tweaking use system settings->appearance or kcontrol (alt+F2->kcontrol->password)->desktop->appearance

Welcome to the party

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

compizconfig-settings-manager..if you are using KDE 4 or 4.1 it has its own window manager.Also in KDE 4.1 there are some cool effects like coverflow,snow,explode etc.. Compiz is a window manager for gnome exclusive
          What is a good (if there is more than one) window manager in KDE? How do I install and tweak different themes? How do I install different cursors? Do you know of a cursor that is identical to the default cursor, but translucent?
          As I said the default window manager in KDE is more than enough . For more themes and stuff try http://kde-look.org/

Comment

Nevermind about the black screen. I have two monitors and realized that the first one is plugged in via VGA and that the graphics card will default to it, even though it is turned off.

Comment

Cool. Return to your initial post in this thread, click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X