This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't change user password....

Hey guys, I'm new and I hardly know anything, but I figured out enough to install the Kubuntu Hardy Heron KDE4 remix and upgraded to 4.1.

Problem is, I now need to change my password to login to my computer as my personal login, the root password, and a password for my campus wireless network to login to a WPA2 network. I'm finding that any documentation is shoddy at best, and I just have 0 understanding about how logins, etc., work in Linux.

The help is completely useless, as there is no "administrator mode...." button in the Login Manager, the way there is supposed to be.

Help, please?

Re: Can't change user password....

every now and again this "no administrator button available" issue crops up.
    it'll get fixed one day, i'm sure...
    now, i don't know any fancy gui stuff.
    so...
    pls, start a konsole

Originally posted by lincolnlourens
    ...personal login
    enter the following command
    Code:
    passwd
    it'll ask you to type your current password.
    then it'll ask you to type your new password twice.
    that'll do.

...the root password
    the root account is disabled by default on ubuntu systems.
    you temporarily gain admin privileges through a utility called sudo.
    the kde gui frontend to this utility is kdesudo and should pop up automatically whenever necessary.
    you may enable the root account nonetheless.
    but, unless you have a good reason for doing so, i wouldn't bother, as it's not necessary.

...a password for my campus wireless network to login to a WPA2 network
    now, i don't know what's the status of this in kubuntu 8.04 with kde4.1.
    when things work (i'm on kubuntu 7.10 with kde3.5.8 and they do work very nicely)
    the wpa2 password gets asked automatically by knetworkmanager when you try to connect.
    the password you type is then automatically saved into kwallet (i.e. the passwords digital wallet).

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Can't change user password....

The password that you set when you install Linux is the "Super User" or "root" or "administrator" password, as well as your personal user password. In other words, the installing user IS the administrator. So you would have to deliberately use some other pre-planned administrator name as the installing user, in order to have your own user name and password that is different than the Super User.

Of course, you can certainly add "Bob" now, and you can be Bob. That is done with the User Management utility in System Settings (not Login Manager). You will need to click the "Administrator" button, and give the root password, of course.

EDIT: Sorry, Jankushka -- didn't meant to jump on your post.

p.s. KDE 4 has User Management in the KMenu>Systems menu.

Comment

Working...
      X