This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Virtualbox installation

I am on Kubuntu 8.04. I installed and configured VB using adept. The installed packages are:
    virtualbos-ose
    -modules-2.6.24-19-generic
    -generic

When I tried to start guest OS win2000, I got

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
    VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE

A little googling showed that there may be a problem with VB concerning vboxdrv and 2.6.24-19 kernel although not 2.6.24-18. I tried the following:

albert@ALBERT:~$ sudo modprobe vboxdrv
    [sudo] password for albert:
    FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-openvz/misc/vboxdrv.ko': No such file or directory

so apparently vboxdrv is not even installed. How do I get VB correctly installed in 8.04 since it has 2.6.24-19 kernel?
    This is a continuation of my previous post on VB on July 29.

Re: Problem with Virtualbox installation

I think that you don't have all the needed packages for VB installed. Searching Adept Manager on virtualbox shows more than the three you identified.

According to the descriptions provided in Adept Manager, virtualbox-ose-modules-virtual is the meta-package that you want to install.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

correct, but if those packages aren't updated to the recent kernel, they won't work. Happened to a guy a while back. It would be best to use the DEB package from the VirtualBox site. It isn't the OSE version but rather the complete version. It's only granted to users not using it for Corporate uses. Personal use for like a home user yes. I use it here at home and works great. Plus, when the Kernel is updated all you have to do at a command line is enter "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" and it while remake the kernel modules and you're on your way. OSE doesn't allow remaking the kernel modules.

Comment

Good info to know. Thanks.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Many thanks to you all and especially MoonRise. I downloaded deb file and did sudo dpkg -i on it and got following:

Unable to find a precompiled module for the current kernel! │
          │ │
          │ Without a suitable kernel module you will never be able to start VMs. It │
          │ is strongly recommended to compile a kernel module now. The kernel │
          │ headers and the tools to build kernel modules (gcc, make, binutils, ...) │
          │ are required. However, in case a suitable kernel module already exists │
          │ at another place you might want to override the default position by │
          │ setting KDIR=<full_path_to_vboxdrv_module> in /etc/default/virtualbox. │
          │ The compilation can also be done later by executing │
          │ │
          │ /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup │
          │ │
          │ as root.

This confuses me. What do I do now? │

Comment

open Konsole

Type "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" (without the quotes) and push enter

It will build the modules. That's it.

Also it seems you need to go to Adept Manager and make sure these are installed : gcc, make, binutils

Comment

I hit ok since it said I could do compilation later. Here is the result so far

albert@ALBERT:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb
              Selecting previously deselected package virtualbox.
              (Reading database ... 115691 files and directories currently installed.)
              Unpacking virtualbox (from virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb) ...
              Setting up virtualbox (1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy) ...
              Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/vboxdrv ...
              Found old version of /etc/vbox/vbox.cfg, removing.
              addgroup: The group `vboxusers' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
              * Starting VirtualBox kernel module
              * No suitable module for running kernel found
              * Starting VirtualBox host networking * done.

albert@ALBERT:~/Desktop$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
              * Stopping VirtualBox kernel module * done.
              * Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
              * Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong

Here is vbox-install.log:

Makefile:127: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

What now? Sorry I am being a pain.

Comment

It means just that , that vboxdrv file ( /etc/init.d/vboxdrv ) can't find your kernel resources.
                When you edit the file, you should see something like that somewhere at the beginning of the file:

KDIR="/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc"
                That's the library where 'vboxdrv.ko' can be found. But first the script needs to establish what version of Linux you're using.
                That's done by the command 'uname -r'.
                If you type 'uname -r' at your command prompt, it should tell you something. If it doesn't or says "unknown" or whatever....then it can't be replaced in the KDIR line....and obvisouly, it will never be able to initialise the vboxdrv module.

[EDIT]
                This is my story:

I used the kernel 2.6.22-14 and had no problem installing VirtualBox. One day, I upgraded it only to 2.6.22-15....and it already gave me some trouble....(to put it nicely ).
                So I started out to compare the two kernel versions and found out that in 2.6.22-15 the directory "/lib/modules/2.6.22-15-generic/MISC" was missing.

FYI: "uname -r" ( in the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv ) was replaced with 2.6.22-15-generic here.

So....I've copied the directory from the 22-14-version to the 22-15-generic version.
                That's enabled the script to locate the "vboxdrv.ko" module. The next step was to make sure the module got loaded when Linux started. So I modified the file ( /lib/modules/modules.dep ) and copied the line with the "vboxdrv.ko" description from the 22-14-generic file to the 22-15-generic file.
                And I was done....it works like a charm in only two steps.

My suggestion is: Find out where the vboxdrv.ko file is installed first
                Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Thanks for reply. whereis vboxdrv.ko returned vboxdrv so no help. krusader search returned folloring files from 2008-05-31, which I think might be prior to this install of 8.04 (!), but I'm not sure.
                  /lib/modules/2.6.24.16-386/misc
                  -generic/misc
                  -rt/misc
                  -server/misc
                  and another similar set of four for 2.6.24/17. Help much appreciated.

Comment

With some help from ubuntu forum finally got it working. Here is my progress report.

albert@ALBERT:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb
                    Selecting previously deselected package virtualbox.
                    (Reading database ... 115691 files and directories currently installed.)
                    Unpacking virtualbox (from virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb) ...
                    Setting up virtualbox (1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy) ...
                    Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/vboxdrv ...
                    Found old version of /etc/vbox/vbox.cfg, removing.
                    addgroup: The group `vboxusers' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
                    * Starting VirtualBox kernel module
                    * No suitable module for running kernel found
                    * Starting VirtualBox host networking * done.

* Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
                    * Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
                    albert@ALBERT:~/Desktop$ whereis vboxdrv.ko
                    vboxdrv:
                    albert@ALBERT:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree
                    Reading state information... Done
                    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                    libxalan110 libxerces27
                    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                    The following NEW packages will be installed:
                    linux-headers-2.6.24-19-openvz
                    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 1220kB of archives.
                    After this operation, 12.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
                    Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main linux-headers-2.6.24-19-openvz 2.6.24-19.36 [1220kB]
                    Fetched 1220kB in 11s (109kB/s)
                    Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19-openvz.
                    (Reading database ... 116404 files and directories currently installed.)
                    Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19-openvz (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19-openvz_2.6.24-19.36_i386.deb) ...
                    Setting up linux-headers-2.6.24-19-openvz (2.6.24-19.36) ...
                    * Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module * done.
                    * Starting VirtualBox kernel module * done.

Thanks to all.

Comment

Yet, another happy Linux user 8)
                      Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Working...
                      X