This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a bit of convincing...

I'm going to be switching to some version of ubuntu by september, for school-related purposes. I'm ordering a laptop specifically for this purpose: a thinkpad T61p. I'm also going to be using it for east-asian language purposes, because japanese is one of the courses that I'm subtituting for a credit.

So a couple of questions.

Is the thinkpad hardware fully compatible with kubuntu? (or at least with minimal tweaking)
    Is installing kubuntu and then GNOME on top ideal if I want to switch environments?
    I read about skim as an input method and it seems wonderful, except I need to know if the tomoe handwriting recognizer works with it as it does with scim.

Or, if you think you have a better laptop for a better price, that works too.

Thanks!

Re: I need a bit of convincing...

If you want an 'out of the box' trouble free 'it all works' laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed, then you should look at Dell PCs Featuring Ubuntu and also check out Linux Certified Laptops.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the second link, turns out the T61's fully supported by pretty much all distros.

Comment

I have a T61 with the intel video. The only thing that does not work are some of the special keys. Most do work but not all. I can run CompizFusion without much trouble.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

This is a great source of info.

David

Comment

Working...
        X