Building dependency tree... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    codeine: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.1) but it is not installable
    Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.2) but 1:4.0.1-4ubuntu9 is to be installed
    Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.5) but 3:3.3.4-8ubuntu5 is to be installed
    Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.2-4) but 4.0.1-4ubuntu9 is to be installed
    Depends: libxine-main1 (>= 1.1.1) but it is not installable
    emacs21: Depends: emacs21-bin-common (= 21.4a-1ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libungif4g (>= 4.1.3) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: xaw3dg (>= 1.5+E-1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

and
    Can anyone recommend a light C++ IDE ? And give step by step instructions o how to do it?

Thanks In Advance
    Crash

Re: Need C++ IDE for kubuntu

KDevelop by all means (not very light, but an amazing piece of software, and IDE's are
    typically not very light). Also, install "build-essential" (It is probably required by kdevelop).

Nice thing is that you can also (excellent) do GUI programming from the same IDE ... even use other OO languages like python, etc

Comment

Will Kdevelop run nicely on 128MB RAM as I have resurrected my old computer to run Kubuntu.
      I can give u the specs if needed

I found something called Anjuta but it says developed for GTK/GNOME will it work on Kubuntu?

Comment

I am not sure, but hey, give it a shot, here is what I'd do
        • Make sure you have at least 256 Mb swap memory
        • Install kubuntu-desktop (minimal kde)
        • Install kdevelop (minimal kde)

If that works, that's that. If you see, however, that the system is using the swap memory heavily, look for optimization tips for KDE and Kubuntu.

Also, consider buying cheap memory. Your efficiency boost by using a good programming tool is much more valuable than a bit more memory.

KDevelop will use a lot of memory, but not too much CPU. It's not doing fancy stuff like hardware acceleration or number crunching.

You'll need CPU power OTOH if your project becomes large, for compilation. That's another story. Try to avoid using of templates to reduce compile time

Hope this helps ...

Comment

Kubuntu Optimization

here is the link
          https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuOptimization

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll try to install KDevelop, and just one more question: Does KDevelop have a dev env for Basic? It doent really matter if it doesnt i was just wondering.
            Thanks
            Crash

Comment

AFAIK, no, the close think to Basic would be Gambas:
              http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

Also: installation is trivial. I don't know how much you used Kubuntu, but installing supported packages is no sweat. Just launch the software installer (synaptic or adept) and search. Click on KDEvelop and everything gets installed for you (required software, etc)
              8)

Comment

And to install gambas, first enable extra repositories, then open adept and search gambas, and mark it for install.
                <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

If you're used to using emacs, accept no substitute. but answer some questions. Are you using Breezy (Kubuntu 5-10) or Dapper (kubuntu 6-06)? The problems you related in your post make it sound as if you're using Dapper. In which case, I can only advise you to wait until June when Dapper is finally released as a full distribution.

If you're using Breezy, you should be able install emacs21.4a, and several additional things like emacs21-el, emacs-extra, emacs-goodies-el, exuberant-ctags (I can't work without it) or xemacs and the equivalent stuff, if you're on that side of the issue.

If you really want to do programming, you must have the build-essential package, (It sounds like it's just a bunch of junk for Debian Developers, but it includes things like make and config.), binutils, and of course gcc-4.0. You probably want gdb as well. You mentioned c++ so you'll need libstdc++5 and libboost, together with dev and dbg versions for all the libraries.

If, you're into platform independent GUI development you will want qt3 or maybe 4, and the corresponding qtdevelop. If you want to develop KDE apps, use Kdevelop.

In general, even though Kubuntu is quite rightly known as a newbie-friendly distro, it has everything you need to do professional development (including music-playing software).

Comment

Working...
                  X