This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with wifi!!

OK, i'm a newb 2 kubuntu and 2 linux :P, I installed Kubuntu KDE 4 even if i'm a newb bcause a friend has it and i think it's really nice, I'm having some problems with connecting to my wireless network, in the Device manager it says that it's using some restricted drivers to get my wireless card working, it says aetheros 802.11 something. so I think it's not a driver problem, but in the network manager there are no devices active and i dont know how to turn on my wlan card!! help!!
    Thanx

Re: Problems with wifi!!

I'm also an noob, and I'm having the same problem. I'm using a HP laptop, relatively new, with an Atheros AR5007 WiFi adapter. I'm wondering if the proprietary drivers that are loading are for a previous Atheros card and aren't compatible with this one. Are you using this card , by any chance?

Comment

did a little digging and I'm not sure why it would say it is using a restricted driver as I did find this..
      http://madwifi.org/.
      other than that I am not sure. make sure your router matches up with your adapter.... ie: 802.11g to 802.11g, or 802.11n to 802.11n.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

I too had the problem, and this is the solution (found by someone else btw)

If you have Atheros AR5007 wireless network adapter follow this procedure to make it work using the latest MadWiFi drivers.

For 32-bit Users

1. First go to System - Hardware Drivers and disable by un-ticking the following option:

Atheros Hardware Access Layer (Hal)

Reboot your system.

2. Preparing your system (from command line)

sudo apt-get install build-essential

wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special...+ar5007.tar.gz

tar xfz madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007.tar.gz

cd madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007

make

sudo make install

sudo modprobe ath_pci

sudo reboot

That's it now your wireless should work without any problem.

Comment

I see that the specific file has been substituted for another one.

For the file, go to http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/
          Download the latest file (recent is August 1.)

Than execute tar xfz etc

Comment

Originally posted by mjtolsma
            I too had the problem, and this is the solution (found by someone else btw)

If you have Atheros AR5007 wireless network adapter follow this procedure to make it work using the latest MadWiFi drivers.

For 32-bit Users

1. First go to System - Hardware Drivers and disable by un-ticking the following option:

Atheros Hardware Access Layer (Hal)

Reboot your system.

2. Preparing your system (from command line)

wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special...+ar5007.tar.gz

tar xfz madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007.tar.gz

cd madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007

make

sudo make install

sudo modprobe ath_pci

sudo reboot

That's it now your wireless should work without any problem.
            Thanks! I have an Athlon Turion 64 chip, so downloaded the 64 bit version. Will the above work, or should I be pointing it at another file?

Comment

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't. The readme file doesn't seem to indicate that it only works on a 32 bit system.

By the way, if you have trouble with other programs, you can download the 32 bit version. I also have a Turion 64 bit processor, but run the 32 bit version.

Comment

Thanks! I'll give it a try - hope it works because I am sick of Vista!!!

Comment

Hmmm.... couldn't get it to work. Got the file (tried both, actually). Executed tar xfz, etc. Got to the "make" command and that was it - nada beyond that point. I'm sending this with Vista; very frustrating! What am I doing wrong?

Comment

You probably need to install "build-essential" on your computer to use "make" and "make install".

Code:
                    Then try the instructions again.

Comment

Working...
                    X